• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

School/Sports

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Todd R

What is the name of your state? Minnesota
I have a daughter who is in 5th grade B-Ball. First tournament of the year she played a total of 13 minutes in three games which are approx 40 minutes long for a total of 110 minutes if time-outs and halftime is excluded. I ask the director why the kids do not get equal play time. He said it depends on missed practices and how hard the kid trys. The next week the team is divided between the best and not so good players. The better of the girls go to a tournament with the two coaches while the director takes the other girls to a game playing the same team. The tournament girls recieve medals while the others recieve nothing. Tournament two she plays 27 minutes out of 110 for the day. She ask to play he tells her he needs his best players. Tournament three she plays approx 10 minutes and doesnt play at all in the third game along with 5 other girls. She ask to play the coach says he needs his best players. My girl cryed last night. This is not an isolated incident just the one I logged this year. Last year the same people were involved for 4th grade girls basketball. My question is there a violation of law here? My motive is not monetary but change in practice. I know the school well and I highly doubt administration will do anything especially when the coaches are volunteers. I also question whether or not to confront the school administration if there is a valid law suit. What do you think? For more details please PM. Thank you.

BelizeBreeze

Todd R said:
What is the name of your state? Minnesota
I have a daughter who is in 5th grade B-Ball. First tournament of the year she played a total of 13 minutes in three games which are approx 40 minutes long for a total of 110 minutes if time-outs and halftime is excluded. I ask the director why the kids do not get equal play time. He said it depends on missed practices and how hard the kid trys. The next week the team is divided between the best and not so good players. The better of the girls go to a tournament with the two coaches while the director takes the other girls to a game playing the same team. The tournament girls recieve medals while the others recieve nothing. Tournament two she plays 27 minutes out of 110 for the day. She ask to play he tells her he needs his best players. Tournament three she plays approx 10 minutes and doesnt play at all in the third game along with 5 other girls. She ask to play the coach says he needs his best players. My girl cryed last night. This is not an isolated incident just the one I logged this year. Last year the same people were involved for 4th grade girls basketball. My question is there a violation of law here? My motive is not monetary but change in practice. I know the school well and I highly doubt administration will do anything especially when the coaches are volunteers. I also question whether or not to confront the school administration if there is a valid law suit. What do you think? For more details please PM. Thank you.
You nor your daughter have grounds for a lawsuit and there is no law governing the amount of playing time required. If you don't like the situation, the remove your daughter from the league and find one whos values match yours.

OR, teach your daughter that she will not always be the best player in the sport she chooses and that learning to deal with it now will only make her stronger for other parts of her coming life.

S

seniorjudge

BelizeBreeze said:
You nor your daughter have grounds for a lawsuit and there is no law governing the amount of playing time required. If you don't like the situation, the remove your daughter from the league and find one whos values match yours.

OR, teach your daughter that she will not always be the best player in the sport she chooses and that learning to deal with it now will only make her stronger for other parts of her coming life.
...I agree....

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You can't possibly be serious.

A lawsuit, because your kid didn't get enough playing time? Boy, talk about an entitlement attitude...

Major league players don't all play exactly the same amount of time in every game. Why should your kid?

HomeGuru

Writer, have your daughter play AYSO soccer. One core rule is that everyone plays.
Although I was not happy watching a recent pro soccer game as Freddie Edu only played the 2nd half. Bummer.............

Last edited:

BelizeBreeze

HomeGuru said:
Writer, have your daughter paly AYSO soccer. One core rule is that everyone plays.
Although I was not happy watching a recent pro soccer game as Freddie Edu only played the 2nd half. Bummer.............
Are your fingers wandering ???:D

HomeGuru

BelizeBreeze said:
I know how you feel. Maybe we should invite Rubarb in for a discussion of legal theory. That would liven up the day ;)
**A: no way, we need idiots like him like we need to be shot and left for dead.
Which by the way is what happened to him.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You mean I can stop worrying about him coming back to Employment Law and telling everyone that their employee handbook is a contract again?

You Are Guilty

cbg said:
You mean I can stop worrying about him coming back to Employment Law and telling everyone that their employee handbook is a contract again?
My employee handbook says everyone is required to play two full periods of soccer every day. Does that mean I can get admitted to the IN bar? :D

HomeGuru

You Are Guilty said:
My employee handbook says everyone is required to play two full periods of soccer every day. Does that mean I can get admitted to the IN bar? :D

**A: yes, there are some very good sports bars in IN.

Todd R

cbg said:
You can't possibly be serious.

A lawsuit, because your kid didn't get enough playing time? Boy, talk about an entitlement attitude...

Major league players don't all play exactly the same amount of time in every game. Why should your kid?
This is about elementary sports not professional. Its about equality and fairness. If theres no grounds for a law suit fine, I can accept that. Theres other avenues I can take, and in actually this was my last resort. I ask a question and get this type of response. Please e-mail me if you wish to belittle. Thank You

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">