• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

the tree in the road

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

smilie5771

What is the name of your state?Oklahoma

I have a question about a tree that grows alongside the road to my house. The tree in question sits on the lot next to mine right across the alley. There is not a home on the lot, only a barn-like building. This tree sits right along the public road, and has been allowed to over grow the road, so much so that there is only room for one lane of traffic past the tree.
Question is can I trim the tree back from the road without legal reprocution from the land owner??
Ok, so the real question is can the land owner have me thrown in jail for having already cut the tree back?
My b/f and I are having a major clashing over this... I trimmed the tree out of the road, and cleaned up all the branches that i cut. :mad: He says that if the landowner wanted to be an ass he could have me arrested for damage to personal property. :confused: But I dont think so.. I didnt hurt the tree, mearly trimmed it, and I was not on his property at any point, I did my trimming strickly from the road.
Please help end the battle... Could I face any legal reprocusions for trimming this tree out of the road?

Last edited:

HomeGuru

smilie5771 said:
What is the name of your state?Oklahoma

I have a question about a tree that grows alongside the road to my house. The tree in question sits on the lot next to mine right across the alley. There is not a home on the lot, only a barn-like building. This tree sits right along the public road, and has been allowed to over grow the road, so much so that there is only room for one lane of traffic past the tree.
Question is can I trim the tree back from the road without legal reprocution from the land owner??
Ok, so the real question is can the land owner have me thrown in jail for having already cut the tree back?
My b/f and I are having a major clashing over this... I trimmed the tree out of the road, and cleaned up all the branches that i cut. :mad: He says that if the landowner wanted to be an ass he could have me arrested for damage to personal property. :confused: But I dont think so.. I didnt hurt the tree, mearly trimmed it, and I was not on his property at any point, I did my trimming strickly from the road.
Please help end the battle... Could I face any legal reprocusions for trimming this tree out of the road?
**A: whoever owns the tree and/or the road is the one that may give permission to trim. So who owns the road?

smilie5771

who owns the road?

I live in Oklahoma

Who owns the road?? It is a city street... wouldnt that make it public property? Either that or the city owns it i guess... but i dont need permission... i have already trimmed it back... i want to know if there could be legal reprocusions...

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">