• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How can I make it difficult to use an existing easement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gimmeagig

My neighbor has a 60 foot wide easement over my property.If he builds and starts using his easement it would seriously affect my enjoyment of my home.I offered him a sweet deal.Two adjacent buildable lots worth over 100000.- that would give him another access to his property.He might not take the offer, he likes my view and wants to drive across my land.If he doesn't agree,what can I legally do to persuade him to reconsider my offer?
Right now the easement is a dirt road.I don't want it paved.Does he have the right to pave it?Can I put up a gate so that he would have to get out of his car every time he drives through.He might split his 10 acres and develop them in which case I would have a whole bunch of cars driving along the front of my house.Could I fight him in court?
I might need an agressive lawyer.I'm in northern Idaho.
Any advice?

HomeGuru

gimmeagig said:
My neighbor has a 60 foot wide easement over my property.If he builds and starts using his easement it would seriously affect my enjoyment of my home.I offered him a sweet deal.Two adjacent buildable lots worth over 100000.- that would give him another access to his property.He might not take the offer, he likes my view and wants to drive across my land.If he doesn't agree,what can I legally do to persuade him to reconsider my offer?
Right now the easement is a dirt road.I don't want it paved.Does he have the right to pave it?Can I put up a gate so that he would have to get out of his car every time he drives through.He might split his 10 acres and develop them in which case I would have a whole bunch of cars driving along the front of my house.Could I fight him in court?
I might need an agressive lawyer.I'm in northern Idaho.
Any advice?

**A: read the recorded easement agreement.

gimmeagig

If it had any references to my question in the recorded easement agreement I would not have posted this question.Thanks!

BelizeBreeze

He might not take the offer, he likes my view and wants to drive across my land.If he doesn't agree,what can I legally do to persuade him to reconsider my offer?
Nothing, Nada, Zilch, Nichts, Nanka.

Right now the easement is a dirt road.I don't want it paved.Does he have the right to pave it?
Depends entirely on the language of the agreement.

Can I put up a gate so that he would have to get out of his car every time he drives through.
Of course you can. And he can, in turn, sue you for denying him the free use of his legal rights.

He might split his 10 acres and develop them in which case I would have a whole bunch of cars driving along the front of my house.
Might or might not. Our crystal ball isn't back from loan yet.

Could I fight him in court?
Well, of course. But the judge and bailiff might intervene and arrest you for assault or, if he's bigger than you are, he could just kick your ass and sell tickets.

Any advice?
HG gave you the only legal advice that is relevant but you decided to be a prick. So, thaaaaaaaat's all folks :D

gimmeagig

Breezy,
I'm a new member here and I don't know this forum very well but I I do know that your last comment was completely uncalled for and I guess a senior member agrees.I was just trying to get a clearer answer to my question, what is wrong with that?If I was a lawyer I would not need to ask a question here, would I?
I certainly did not come to this forum to be insulted by you, breezy, so keep your comments to yourself and get a life.

HomeGuru

gimmeagig said:
Breezy,
I'm a new member here and I don't know this forum very well but I I do know that your last comment was completely uncalled for and I guess a senior member agrees.I was just trying to get a clearer answer to my question, what is wrong with that?If I was a lawyer I would not need to ask a question here, would I?
I certainly did not come to this forum to be insulted by you, breezy, so keep your comments to yourself and get a life.

**A: I guess Breezy was right.

gimmeagig

I was under the impression that this was a forum where a layman could get some advice on legal issues without being patronized or insulted.I guess I was wrong.Silly quotes intended to be humorous are certainly not what I was looking for in this forum.Oh well, you get what you pay for.What a waste of time this was!

S

seniorjudge

gimmeagig said:
I was under the impression that this was a forum where a layman could get some advice on legal issues without being patronized or insulted.I guess I was wrong.Silly quotes intended to be humorous are certainly not what I was looking for in this forum.Oh well, you get what you pay for.What a waste of time this was!
Some people cannot recognize a correct and legal answer when they get one.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">