• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Crazy Overpayment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chh123

What is the name of your state? Mississippi

My wife and I filled our taxes jointly this year. We had a sum of money deducted from us by the government(social security). The social security office said that it was to pay for an overpayment that my wife's mother had recieved while the mother was on disability back in 1989 till 1998. The problem is that my wife was only 5 years old in 1989, just a minor. Can they even hold a minor responsible for income the mother recieved? Now they garnish our federal income tax in replacement for the money they gave her mother for her dependant child. Also, we never recieved any notices and was not aware of this debt. This does not seem right, what do I need to do to get my money back. Please help!

BL

Contact your nearest SSA office or call The 800# .

Tell them you want to file for both :

A ) A reconsideration .
B) A Waiver .

Don't wait ....

tigger22472

SS can take payments if the mother received payments in her daughters name for her care. You do need to call the SS office and confirm the overpayment and who the payments were made out to. I've seen this happen before.

bjl1105

chh123 said:
What is the name of your state? Mississippi

My wife and I filled our taxes jointly this year. We had a sum of money deducted from us by the government(social security). The social security office said that it was to pay for an overpayment that my wife's mother had recieved while the mother was on disability back in 1989 till 1998. The problem is that my wife was only 5 years old in 1989, just a minor. Can they even hold a minor responsible for income the mother recieved? Now they garnish our federal income tax in replacement for the money they gave her mother for her dependant child. Also, we never recieved any notices and was not aware of this debt. This does not seem right, what do I need to do to get my money back. Please help!

It is too late to file a reconsideration. But it is never to late to file a waiver. Go into your local office (schedule an appointment) to file the waiver request. Contact your local congressman for guidance if needed. SSA has the right to recover overpayments from other federal payments (IE tax returns), but only if it is a legitimate overpayment!

chh123

bjl1105 said:

It is too late to file a reconsideration. But it is never to late to file a waiver. Go into your local office (schedule an appointment) to file the waiver request. Contact your local congressman for guidance if needed. SSA has the right to recover overpayments from other federal payments (IE tax returns), but only if it is a legitimate overpayment!
I am filing an injured spouse form, since my wife had no income last year. SSA was seeking payment from her and not myself, then I should get the amount refunded back?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">