• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Termination Rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bp22

I was fired this morning on the grounds of "not performing up to expectations". i'm not disputing the grounds for termination. What I am curious about are my rights in this termination, especially concerning three main areas.

1) I was given no warning or prior notice to termination. Is there a requirement to do so?
2) I was given no severence pay whatsoever. Is there a minimum severence pay required?
3) Am I eligible for unemployment?

This is in New Jersey, btw. Thanks!

HomeGuru

bp22 said:
I was fired this morning on the grounds of "not performing up to expectations". i'm not disputing the grounds for termination. What I am curious about are my rights in this termination, especially concerning three main areas.

1) I was given no warning or prior notice to termination. Is there a requirement to do so?

**A: no
2) I was given no severence pay whatsoever. Is there a minimum severence pay required?

**A: check with your employee manual and state dol. The answer may be no.
3) Am I eligible for unemployment?

**A: most likely. Check with your state UE office.

This is in New Jersey, btw. Thanks!
**A: no problem.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
1. No.
2. Only if you have a contract that specifies it. The law does not require severance.
3. Only an adjudicator from your state's unemployment board can say for certain, but I don't see anything in your post offhand that would disqualify you. In any case, it can't hurt to apply; there's no penalty for being wrong.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">