• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Restroom Breaks

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cindales

What is the name of your state? Texas

I would like to know what laws, if any, or what recourse is there for someone using the restroom frequently due to medication.

Recently, performance and statistics goals have been implemented based on adherence, conformance and performance. Our time is tracked by a phone we are logged into. If we use the restroom more than what is allotted in our goals, we are written up. If the guidelines are not met then the procedure would then be suspension and then termination. To avoid any further write-ups, it was required to obtain a letter from my doctor, based on the medication and condition I have which would cause me to use the restroom more frequently.

This letter has to be renewed every 90 days. Are employers allowed to dictate how often we can use the restroom? Is there any type of labor law that allows for an employee to use the restroom as needed without this affecting their performance etc...?

HomeGuru

cindales said:
What is the name of your state? Texas

I would like to know what laws, if any, or what recourse is there for someone using the restroom frequently due to medication.

Recently, performance and statistics goals have been implemented based on adherence, conformance and performance. Our time is tracked by a phone we are logged into. If we use the restroom more than what is allotted in our goals, we are written up. If the guidelines are not met then the procedure would then be suspension and then termination. To avoid any further write-ups, it was required to obtain a letter from my doctor, based on the medication and condition I have which would cause me to use the restroom more frequently.

This letter has to be renewed every 90 days. Are employers allowed to dictate how often we can use the restroom? Is there any type of labor law that allows for an employee to use the restroom as needed without this affecting their performance etc...?
**A: sorry, I can't post now, going to the restroom.

Beth3

OSHA regulations require that an employer provide employees with "reasonable access" to restroom facilities. That's the only law that I'm aware of on this issue. I see nothing unlawful about an employer requiring a note from an employee's doctor if she/he needs to use the restroom more frequently than is "reasonable," especially if it interferes with work.

cindales

To Home Guru

HomeGuru said:
**A: sorry, I can't post now, going to the restroom.
This may seem to be a joke to you. However, you must be a cynical individual or a male or both.

Going to the restroom is a very serious problem and can lead to serious health problems. You may not believe these are issues employers enforce, but you are wrong, especially in the call center environment.

If you are not able to contribute constructively then please do not post any reply to this thread at all.

linebacker

OSHA clarified their position on this issue in April 1998 saying that the standard requires employers to make toilet facilities available so that employees can use them when they need to do so. The memorandum goes on to say that the standard is intended to ensure that employees do not suffer adverse health effects that can result if toilets are not available and recognizes that individuals vary in frequency with which they need to urinate and defecate. Jim Beam was cited in Kentucky for restricting employees from using the restroom to breaks only.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">