• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rules for improving an easement?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AngelJo

I live in a neighborhood in Michigan where all nine neighbors share the same 2,000 ft easement as an ingress/egress to our properties (the easement runs along the west end of each homeowner's property). Several of our neighbors, including ourselves, are interested in upgrading the condition of the easement property (a dirt road) by either paving or graveling. My question is, what rights do we have to improve the property? Do we have to have each neighbors' approval prior to doing any of the work? I can't imagine anyone complaining about us making the road better, but you never know! Our neighborhood does not have an association, and the deed is very vague in reference to the easement. It only states that one exists and is shared. There is no reference to maintenance or improvements on the easement.

HomeGuru

AngelJo said:
I live in a neighborhood in Michigan where all nine neighbors share the same 2,000 ft easement as an ingress/egress to our properties (the easement runs along the west end of each homeowner's property). Several of our neighbors, including ourselves, are interested in upgrading the condition of the easement property (a dirt road) by either paving or graveling. My question is, what rights do we have to improve the property? Do we have to have each neighbors' approval prior to doing any of the work? I can't imagine anyone complaining about us making the road better, but you never know! Our neighborhood does not have an association, and the deed is very vague in reference to the easement. It only states that one exists and is shared. There is no reference to maintenance or improvements on the easement.
**A: you need to read the recorded easement agreement.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">