• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Gift tax from mexican citizen to US citizen

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bubble1975

What is the name of your state?So, my parents live in Mexico and earn money through a Mexican corporation. Actually, they own interest in the company, so the money stays with the corporation. They want to give my siblings and I money, directly from the company, and we live in the US and are US citizens.

In the US, I understand that according to US gift tax law, the GIVER is taxed and not the RECEIVER. So, if an international source GIFTS us with money, are we receiving that money tax free? Or is the gift only taxable via Mexican tax law (ie any gift tax would be paid to the mexican government)?

Bottom line, can the USA tax that money in any way?

Thanks for any insight,
Da Bubble

Snipes5

No, there is no US tax on that money, but there are reporting requirements, mainly pursuant to the Patriot Act.

Snipes

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">