• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I have a case under the Hippa Law?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cougar2018

What is the name of your state? NH
Here's my story. I took my ex-girlfriend to court for a child support modification since I changed jobs. It was roughly half (lower) of what I used to make. She brought an attorney with her and I had none. They put up a stink as I expected. They wanted to know why I change jobs and I said for health reasons. The judge asked if I could be more specific, and I said it was a recommendation from my doctor, since I'm being treated for hypertension, that I find a less stressful job. Her attorney requested a note from the treating physician and the judge told me I had to get one. So I went and got one. Then her attorney objected. Court agreed. So the court order me to get another one. I just sent the other one off. Now since this is only a hearing to lower child support, how can my ex-girlfriend, her lawyer, and the judge, request information on my health. Am I protected under the hippa or any other law??? :confused: Please help!!!!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
First of all, it's not HIPPA, it's HIPAA.

HIPAA only applies if your health information is released without your consent. It doesn't apply in this situation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">