• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Condo Fees

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ricktrev

What is the name of your state? Florida
I am a resident of a condominum in South Florida. I own a boat and pay a matenance fee of $100 per month for use of a boat slip. Without doing into detail, the expenses of the dock amount to about $35 per month per boat slip. I do not have a problem with paying this amount in the hopes that the extra money myself and the other boat owners are paying may be used to also maintain the dock (not being done at this time and no plans in the future). (A reserve if you will).
The association wants to raise the fees to $250 per month. I have presented the board member with supporting documentation for expenses versus income etc. Their position is that they feel that there are more people in the condo willing to pay that amount and they will basically get that amount reagrdless of expense etc. As unfair and unusual as this might sound, I understand the premise of suppy and demand, but as a resident i would hope to expect a reasonable fee based on actual exspense etc. Not simple because "if you wont pay it some else will" mentality.
Is there anything I can do?

HomeGuru

ricktrev said:
What is the name of your state? Florida
I am a resident of a condominum in South Florida. I own a boat and pay a matenance fee of $100 per month for use of a boat slip. Without doing into detail, the expenses of the dock amount to about $35 per month per boat slip. I do not have a problem with paying this amount in the hopes that the extra money myself and the other boat owners are paying may be used to also maintain the dock (not being done at this time and no plans in the future). (A reserve if you will).
The association wants to raise the fees to $250 per month. I have presented the board member with supporting documentation for expenses versus income etc. Their position is that they feel that there are more people in the condo willing to pay that amount and they will basically get that amount reagrdless of expense etc. As unfair and unusual as this might sound, I understand the premise of suppy and demand, but as a resident i would hope to expect a reasonable fee based on actual exspense etc. Not simple because "if you wont pay it some else will" mentality.
Is there anything I can do?
**A: did you review the actual and projected operating expense budget and the reserve study? How was the $250/month justified and explained via breakdown itemized accounting.

ricktrev

There is no actual or projected operating expense budget or a reserve study for the dock. All there is a line item on the Budget under Income for $700.00 per month, $8,400.00 per year under "Boat Dock Income". There is no corresponding expense for the boat dock or a reserve or anything on the expense side of the budget pertaining to the dock.
The amount of $250 I believe was picked because they were comparing prices with commercial boat docks. There was no study done what so ever concerning the $250 as related to expenses. They basically feel that they can find 7 people in the building willing to pay that much money for a boat slip.
These are “scalper” tactics that I don’t know how I can fight.

HomeGuru

ricktrev said:
There is no actual or projected operating expense budget or a reserve study for the dock.

**A: then demand these documents.
All there is a line item on the Budget under Income for $700.00 per month, $8,400.00 per year under "Boat Dock Income". There is no corresponding expense for the boat dock or a reserve or anything on the expense side of the budget pertaining to the dock.
The amount of $250 I believe was picked because they were comparing prices with commercial boat docks. There was no study done what so ever concerning the $250 as related to expenses. They basically feel that they can find 7 people in the building willing to pay that much money for a boat slip.
These are “scalper” tactics that I don’t know how I can fight.
**A: hire an HOA attorney.

ricktrev

Funny you should mention about the documents. Three months ago when I presented the board with my expense evaluation showing how the current change of $100 exceeds the expenses by 3 times. At that meeting I told them they cannot raise the fee without the same type of supporting documents. Apparently they did not.
Is my only recourse to hire an attorney?

jwa416

Condo fees

Hi Homeguru,
I am a Condo/townhouse owner in CA. We do not have boat slips as part of our common area, but we do have a pool/spa, common driveways,etc. My husband and I own a power boat that we keep at a local marina that charges by the Ft. or length of the slip and think of retirement in FL as a possibility that is why I am interested in your situation. We pay $320 per month to our marina just for a slip for a 30 ft. boat. That does include water, a shore power hook up( but electricity is added to our monthly fee) and maintenance of all the docks, rest room facilities,etc.
Our HOA Board for our townhomes must call a vote of all 41 owners before a major increase in the monthly Condo fee can take effect. I believe a vote of at least 2/3 of the ownership must approve our major fee increases. The Board must demonstrate and document why we need a major increase. There is a clause that gives our Board aome authority for small increasesn($10 to 25). Certainly, a $150/per month increase sounds excessive, especially if the Board can not come up with documentation to support the increase in costs to maintain your slips.
Do you have a copy of your C C and Rs? There probably is a clause in that document on how your Board can go about raising fees. It sounds like you may need a Condo/HOA attorney to review the situation if the Board does not come up with documents to show why costs have increased so much.
Good luck and keep us posted.
JWA in CA

ricktrev

Thanks for your suggestions and sharing some of your similar experiences. If just further confirms that fact that what the board is trying to do is not just unfair, but probably prohibited.
How can I find a lawyer to help me in this matter?

HomeGuru

ricktrev said:
Thanks for your suggestions and sharing some of your similar experiences. If just further confirms that fact that what the board is trying to do is not just unfair, but probably prohibited.
How can I find a lawyer to help me in this matter?
**A: www.attorneypages.com

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">