• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Breach of verbal contract - severance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Soleproviderof2

What is the name of your state?Buena Park, California.

Bear with me:

I worked for a very well known educational program company that was just purchased by another extremely well known educational company this past January 17th.

My boss and I were in another state doing training on Jan. 17th and she received a phone call saying that the deal was signed, we were now owned by "New Co." and that she was fired. I was pulled out of the training class that I was conducting and told we needed to head back to California - post haste. (needless to say - not such a good day)

The next day, back in California, I went to the office and was told that I had nothing to worry about. "New Co." had decided to keep me. "New Co." layed off over half of my co-workers - including my boss, the president of the company, mid-management and underlings. "New Boss" reassured me over the next few days that I didn't have anything to worry about, they wanted me to take over all that my boss and I normally did together. They told me they were going to take care of my boss with a healthy severance and that she would be coming into the office until March, to wind things down on her end.

Over the next few weeks, more people were let go and there was obviously a constant fear that jobs were still in jeapardy. My boss (who had been fired), was mad and had been going around the office declaring her intention to keep her job (stating things like, "nothing is going to get done around here unless I'm involved, etc. etc.) She was seen behind closed doors with "New Boss" and was obviously trying to keep her position.

3 weeks ago, "New Boss" came into my office and asked if there was anything wrong. I (stupidly) told him that I was still fearing for my job and that I felt uncomfortable in the situation I was in. I explained that I am the only one who's boss was fired, yet is still around campaigning for her job and that it made me fear for my future. "New Boss" told me that I had nothing to fear, they needed me and my position and that I either believed him or I didn't. My choice.

One week after this, all of management was invited to Corporate headquarters (except me) and my "old boss" invited herself there as well.

Well, everyone came back on Feb 28 - and on March 1st I was given a severance and release stating that they were eliminating my position and I was no longer needed. "New Co." had decided to eliminate my position and keep my "old boss" and wrap my duties under her "new title".

"Old Boss" called me that night and said that they had come to her on Feb 28 and asked her if she was going to accept the "new title". She said that they wanted to let me go the next day, depending on what her answer was.

I'm so angry at the situation I was put in. I really feel that I was competing for my job with someone who was fired and higher up the food chain than I was.

Is this breach of verbal contract? Even though I've signed a severance and release agreement, do I still have a case? I'm due to receive my severance March 10th. and if I wanted to rescind - the date was March 7th.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I doubt that it can be considered that you had a verbal contract. However, you have nothing to lose by speaking to a local attorney.

Even assuming that you do, if you signed a release in exchange for the severance it's unlikely that you can still file a claim; that is, if you want to keep the severance. It's almost certain that you agreed not to sue the company in exchange for the severance. You can show the agreement to the attorney if you make an appointment since the exact wording counts, but it's quite unlikely you get to have it both ways; you don't get to keep the severance and sue the company too.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">