• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Capital Gains when not an investment property?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fizzie51

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? VA

I owned a condo in which my parents lived for about ten years. I paid the mortgage most of the time, they made a payment on occasion. When my father died I sold the condo so my mother could live in a retirement home near me.

Do I owe capital gains on this sale? Although I did not reside in the home it was not an investment property either, I made nothing on it.

Thanks! :confused:

Snipes5

Yes, this is a taxable event.

Bring your paperwork in to a tax professional who can determine whether you have a gain or not.

Even though you made nothing on the sale, you may still have a gain, unless you sold for less than you originally purchased the property for. The amount of any remaining mortgage debt is not relevant to capital gains determination.

Snipes

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">