• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Job search and bankruptcy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Gerula 56

What is the name of your state? WA

I worked in the banking industryfor the past 10 years. In December 2004 my husband and I filed for bankruptcy protection (he had a surgery in April 2004 and was on Workman Comp ever since). I quit my job at the bank even though I knew I they couldn't fire me.
Last month I started my search for a new job in banking. I am very qualified and every time a send my resume I get phone calls for interviews almost immediately, however, after the interview and signing the authorization for credit and background check everything falls apart.
I get the usual answer: we decided to hire a more qualified applicant.
While I agree that there are more qualified applicants, I'm wondering if the fact that I filed for bankruptcy is the deciding factor and if that's the case, what should I do?
(I had an interview with a Staffing Agency and she told me that she is "salivating over my resume" because of my qualifications).

Beth3

I worked in the banking industry for the past 10 years. In December 2004 my husband and I filed for bankruptcy protection (he had a surgery in April 2004 and was on Workman Comp ever since). I quit my job at the bank even though I knew I they couldn't fire me. You're in debt up to your eyeballs so you decide to QUIT your job? Huh??? What am I missing here???

Only the employers you interviewed with can tell you whether your bankruptcy was a factor in their decision not to hire you and none of them are going to make any comment one way or other. While I don't work in the financial industry, I do believe it is very common for employers to require an acceptible credit rating/credit history for job candidates and employees. There is nothing unlawful about that.

Gerula 56

Sounds strange to quit your job when you are bankrupt, doesn't it?
There were a few factors involved: the embarassment of filing for bankruptcy while working for a bank, my health was getting worse and worse due to job, family and financial stress, used all my vacation and sick time but still needed time off to take care of my husband.
Believe me, not easy to take such a major decision (to quit a good job).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">