• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

4th amendment rights in a bar

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Cubbies05

What is the name of your state? Illinois

Twice after being admited into a Class T Tavern (20 to get in, 21 to drink) I have been asked for ID by police officers raiding the bar looking for underage drinkers. Both times i showed them my real id which showed that i was 20 and legally allowed to be there and both times i was asked to step outside and submit to a breathlyzer test. I complied and came up clean both times.

My question is, do i have to comply? If asked for id, am i required to show it? And if asked to step out for a breathalyzer test, am i also required to submit? I don't usually drink but every now and then i do and i don't want to get a $250 ticket for just having one beer.

BelizeBreeze

Cubbies05 said:
What is the name of your state? Illinois

Twice after being admited into a Class T Tavern (20 to get in, 21 to drink) I have been asked for ID by police officers raiding the bar looking for underage drinkers. Both times i showed them my real id which showed that i was 20 and legally allowed to be there and both times i was asked to step outside and submit to a breathlyzer test. I complied and came up clean both times.

My question is, do i have to comply? If asked for id, am i required to show it? And if asked to step out for a breathalyzer test, am i also required to submit? I don't usually drink but every now and then i do and i don't want to get a $250 ticket for just having one beer.
Of course you don't have to comply. You can refuse and be cited for the refusal. as to not wanting to get the $250 ticket, that's a no-brainer. Don't want to do the time then don't do the crime.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">