• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

termination issue

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

WonderingInAZ

What is the name of your state? Arizona

My husband and I worked for the same company. He resigned to persue other avenues. The day he resigned, I was told in a meeting with 3 witnesses that my employment with the company would not be affected by his resignation. 2 days later I was terminated. They would not tell me on what grounds I was terminated, only that if I wanted answers, I had to discuss it with my husband(now a former employee)???

I have a flawless employment record with lots of accolades. I have a confidentially agreement with the company which I have never breached. Do I have any recourse? Its seems they fired me because of who I am married to and for fear I could potentially give my husband inside inforamtion about the goings on in the company after he left; however the company is protected by the confidentially agreement I signed.

I know AZ is a right to work state, but this just does not seem right, please advise.

C

CheeseBlotto

Dumb business maybe (or not) but completely legal.

Last edited:

Beth3

I know AZ is a right to work state, but this just does not seem right, please advise. For the record, "right to work" means you don't have to join a union. What you mean to say is that AZ is an "at will" State.

Since this is a State that recognizes the employment at will doctrine (as do 48 other States), that means you can be let go at any time for any reason, as long as it's not a specifically prohibited reason. Despite the statement made that your employment would not be affected by your husband's resignation, they were free to terminate you. Nor do they have to give you a reason.

They would not tell me on what grounds I was terminated, only that if I wanted answers, I had to discuss it with my husband(now a former employee)??? Interesting. The only thing that occurs to me is that after your husband left and after the statement was made to you about your employment not being effected, they discovered your husband had engaged in either some kind of misconduct or that for some reason having to do with your husband your continuing employment represented a conflict in interest.

Anyway, that's my best guess. The only time I've ever told a spouse "you need to talk to your husband" is when we've terminated an employee for misconduct, the employee gave his wife a load of baloney as to why he was fired, and then the spouse called demanding an explanation as to why poor Willie was fired for absolutely no reason. As much as it's tempting to say "Uh, we caught Willie robbing us blind" or "Willie was sexually harassing five female coworkers," I've left it at "You need to talk to your husband."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">