• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Disabled, survivor benefits eligible or not?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dmalone

State: Texas

I have a quesiton that I am hoping that somebody will be able to answer.

My parents were married in 1971. My father retired in 1994 after working for 28 years for the Texas Highway Department and began receiving his retirement from the state. He passed away in 2001. My mother was 52 at the time. She is totally disabled and is receiving disability as well as my father's retirement. She has never worked where Social Security was taken. We have already checked.

When my mother was approved for her disability, the SSA told her that she was not eligible for any other type of benefits.

However, the SSA website says that a widow can begin receiving survivor benefits as early as age 50 if he/she is disabled.

Now, my question is whether or not the SSA was correct in telling her that she couldn't get anything else, or whether or not she should now be getting it or if she would have to wait until 60, or what?

We took the word of SSA and have not though about it since, but someone mentioned something to her the other day and it got me wondering.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

bjl1105

dmalone said:
State: Texas

I have a quesiton that I am hoping that somebody will be able to answer.

My parents were married in 1971. My father retired in 1994 after working for 28 years for the Texas Highway Department and began receiving his retirement from the state. He passed away in 2001. My mother was 52 at the time. She is totally disabled and is receiving disability as well as my father's retirement. She has never worked where Social Security was taken. We have already checked.

When my mother was approved for her disability, the SSA told her that she was not eligible for any other type of benefits.

However, the SSA website says that a widow can begin receiving survivor benefits as early as age 50 if he/she is disabled.

Now, my question is whether or not the SSA was correct in telling her that she couldn't get anything else, or whether or not she should now be getting it or if she would have to wait until 60, or what?

We took the word of SSA and have not though about it since, but someone mentioned something to her the other day and it got me wondering.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Not quite enough info here. She is receiving disability from whom? The state of TX? Or SSA? She is receiving retirment from whom? TX? If she is receiving disability from SSA as a surviving disabled widow, then she is receiving all that is available to her. If she was denied those benefits, there are specific requirements (other than being disabled that had to be met) .The only other SSA benefit would be her own disability/retirement; but because she has not paid in she cannot draw out. Assuming she is receiving the surviving disabled widow's benefits already; the SSA must advise her if there is any other entitlement based on the application she filed. Apparently, there are no other benefits available, which appears to be the correct determination.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">