• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

1099's why cant anyone tell me what to do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Brente222

What is the name of your state?pennsylvania

I posted this a few weeks ago with no response. I have asked lots of people about this and I cannot get an answer from anyone. The only thing they tell me is that I am not self employed and this is simply income. I should not pay social security tax on this. But turbo tax doesn't allow that, they say "we will report this non employee compensation as wages,because you must pay SS and MC taxes on these wages your form will include form 4137 for unreported tip income" again... no problem if thats what i have to do, but then i certainly want my SS statement to reflect this income! HELP!!

I am an in-house customer service/sales person for a wholesale distributor. I am in no way self employed.
Some of the manufacturers of the products we sell occasionally run promotional programs called "Spiffs". They use these to promote products.

IE: ABC Glassware is running a Spiff this month for their new ten ounce wine glass. For every order of fifty dozen glasses or more ABC Glassware will pay the sales person .50 cents for every dozen. If I sell this many glasses, I fill out a spiff form and attach the invoice from the sale and send it in. Eventually a check shows up in my mailbox from that manufacturer with no taxes taken out of it.

AT the end of the year these manufacturers send 1099-misc forms all using line 7.

In turbo tax I have three options for this money. Self-employed business, Farm Wages, or Wages.

This money is more like a prize than anything. You never know when they will run them or for how long or on what products.

If i fill it out as wages, which seems the best choice, it taxes me social sec and medicare tax. Which is ok, except that this income is never shown on my social security statement even though I am paying SS taxes on it.

It's obviously not farm income.

If I fill it out as Self Employed income the tax is SUBSTANTIALLY MORE than just paying the SS and Medicare tax on a wage. I don't really think this bonus program that I have no control over should make me pay self employment taxes.

What is the right thing to do?
HELP! Thanks
Brente222

Snipes5

Put the Spiffs on line 21 as "other income".

If TT is giving you a problem with that, just don't input the 1099's. There must be a space to list "prizes and gambling winnings" or some such. Put the Spiffs in there.

Snipes

Snipes5

Line 21 does include them as income. It just doesn't include them as Self-Employment, because the OP does not have an relationship with the company that pays the spiffs.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">