• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Termination of Parental Rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BrandonsDad

Just need to know if there are any laws preventing the filing of a petition to terminate parental rights in two separate states at one time, because one of them is bound to work in my case. By laws in the state we haven't yet file in, the rights could be teminated quicker and easier than where we are (that's the state in which the parent to terminate rights of lives), and we are able to allow that state and county jurisdiction (I don't want to give it all away). All I need to know is if there is anything preventing the filing in another state as well as already being in dispute in one?

Hopefully someone out there can squash this without a bunch of questions... there are spies on here, lmao!

crystaly

BrandonsDad said:
Just need to know if there are any laws preventing the filing of a petition to terminate parental rights in two separate states at one time, because one of them is bound to work in my case. By laws in the state we haven't yet file in, the rights could be teminated quicker and easier than where we are (that's the state in which the parent to terminate rights of lives), and we are able to allow that state and county jurisdiction (I don't want to give it all away). All I need to know is if there is anything preventing the filing in another state as well as already being in dispute in one?

Hopefully someone out there can squash this without a bunch of questions... there are spies on here, lmao!
Basically you have to file in the county in which the child resides.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">