• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Texas adoption

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

yaduhyaduh

I curently live in oklahoma. I was born in Mexico and my parents adopted me at 2 years old. I have not had any contact with my adoptive parenst since I was 14. I have recently found out that my birth certificate was altered, and that I may actually be an illegal alien! My mother sent me a my adoption papers a long time ago and I always assumed that I was a citizen because my parents both were. I have never known anything other than this. Any insight?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

yaduhyaduh said:
I curently live in oklahoma. I was born in Mexico and my parents adopted me at 2 years old. I have not had any contact with my adoptive parenst since I was 14. I have recently found out that my birth certificate was altered, and that I may actually be an illegal alien! My mother sent me a my adoption papers a long time ago and I always assumed that I was a citizen because my parents both were. I have never known anything other than this. Any insight?
My response:

Yes. In both Oklahoma and Texas, it's just "Duh, Duh"!

IAAL

yaduhyaduh

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE said:
My response:

Yes. In both Oklahoma and Texas, it's just "Duh, Duh"!

IAAL
I AM ALWAYS LIABLE, Thanks for your response, however I want to get further clarification. I am assuming that the "yes" and "duh" mean that I you believe me to be a citizen (which would obviously apply to any state in the US). My quary remains, are there any steps that the adoptive parents must take to ensure citizenship status of the foreign born children they adopt? The recent death of my adoptive father has brought some scary details to light. 1)My father may not have gone through all the legal chanels during my adoption and 2.My adoptive parents may never have established my citizenship . How would I go about sorting through this type of legal information without jeopardizing myself. I have no ties in my country of birth and have never lived there. I have established a my life as an adult and I have a year old. (I currently have No contact with adoptive family except for an aunt that felt obligated to disclose this information to me.) Does your answer remain that I am a citizen, or do I need to contact a lawyer. Are there any resources available so that I can do some of the legwork of finding out if I have issues to take care of?

Last edited:

nextwife

How old ARE you? My daughter became a citizen automatically under the Adopted Child Citizenship Act of 2000.

You likely have a permanant resident visa. That is what my daughter was granted when she came to the US at age 2.

Why do you not have contact with your family? I can't imagine ever not having my daughter in our lives.

http://uscis.gov/graphics/publicaffairs/factsheets/adopted.htm

Is the Law Retroactive? Is Automatic Citizenship Provided for Those Who Are 18 Years of Age or Older?

No. The new law is not retroactive. Individuals who are 18 years of age or older on February 27, 2001, do not qualify for citizenship under Public Law 106-395, even if they meet all other criteria. If they choose to become U.S. citizens, they must apply for naturalization and meet eligibility requirements that currently exist for adult lawful permanent residents

Last edited:

yaduhyaduh

Thank you so much for this information!

nextwife said:
How old ARE you? My daughter became a citizen automatically under the Adopted Child Citizenship Act of 2000.

You likely have a permanant resident visa. That is what my daughter was granted when she came to the US at age 2.

Why do you not have contact with your family? I can't imagine ever not having my daughter in our lives.

Thank you for this information...It looks like I need to find out if my parents ever went through the process of filing for a permanent resident visa for me.

I would not even attempt to explain all of the reasons that we no longer have contact (I use my psychiatrist to deal with all of that!)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">