• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

CGT on UK home

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

arrowbar

DC

I am a British expatriate living in the US. I am US resdient and pay US tax. I have a house in the UK which was my private residence in the UK until I was posted overseas by my company in 2000. I have since bought a house in the US and now want to sell the UK property. I've heard that the UK property can be treated as a PPR and that I am eligible for the $250/500k exemption because it was my PPR immediately prior to being sent overseas. Is that right?

Snipes5

If you lived in the house and owned it for two out of the five years prior to the sale, you are entitled to the exclusion.

The bit about being sent overseas applies to persons in the US military, not private citizens.

Sorry.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">