• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Working for 5 yrs while on SSD

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Begirl

What is the name of your state? FLORIDA

I was collecting temp disability. It was reviewed every couple years. I started back working part time in 99. This year, they send a form showing all my income since 99 and ask me to return form. Will I be charged with FRAUD? I sent a letter once and let them know I was finally at work full time, but nothing changed. I'm afraid I'll end up in jail. If I have to pay it back, fine, but I don't want to be charged. What should I do? What will they do? Will they work with me if I need to pay it back?

BL

Begirl said:
What is the name of your state? FLORIDA

I was collecting temp disability. It was reviewed every couple years. I started back working part time in 99. This year, they send a form showing all my income since 99 and ask me to return form. Will I be charged with FRAUD? I sent a letter once and let them know I was finally at work full time, but nothing changed. I'm afraid I'll end up in jail. If I have to pay it back, fine, but I don't want to be charged. What should I do? What will they do? Will they work with me if I need to pay it back?
If your income average was below $830.00 per month , you should be fine .
If SSA determines you are/have been making more than that on a regular basis , your benefits may stop and they might ask you to repay what you were not entitled to . In that case they would most likely work out a Payment plan .

Be sure to send in that form though .

Begirl

For at least a few of those years, I made double that per month. But when they'd send me the forms to update, I was honest about more upcoming surgery, etc. But I have turned in the new form. I assume they will now stop the payments - that's fine. Should I send a letter asking if I need to pay some of it back or wait til they contact me?

bjl1105

Begirl said:
For at least a few of those years, I made double that per month. But when they'd send me the forms to update, I was honest about more upcoming surgery, etc. But I have turned in the new form. I assume they will now stop the payments - that's fine. Should I send a letter asking if I need to pay some of it back or wait til they contact me?
If you have been overpaid, you will recieve a notice of overpayment and options on how to repay. You don't need to intiate this. It is highly unlikely they will ever press charges. Disabled clients often try to return to work. Overpayments are common in these situations. Chill. Pay back the overpayment and it'll all be done. Good luck.

Begirl

Thanks for the advice. I'm afraid it's going to be over $20K so I'll probably be paying on it forever.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">