• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

unreasonable neighbor - noise complaint

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

carvelli007

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? New Jersey.
I live in a town home condo complex. Units are attached on either side of my unit.

My new neighbor is complaining about the amount of noise coming from my unit (music, voices, doors, etc.) The prior tenants of this unit had no complaints and neither have the tenants in the unit on the other side. I have had people present when my neighbor has come to my unit to complain. They were astonished as the volume was not very loud and it was the middle of the afternoon.

It is my contention that he is being unreasonable. Seeing as how we share a wall no thicker than 12 inches he is bound to hear me occasionally. I have tried to reason with him. I have invited him in to experience the volume, told him that I can hear him as well and accept this as condo living.

He has now retained an attorney who has sent me a letter threatening a harassment suit.

Are his grounds valid?
Are mine?
What do I do?
How should I proceed?

HomeGuru

carvelli007 said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? New Jersey.
I live in a town home condo complex. Units are attached on either side of my unit.

My new neighbor is complaining about the amount of noise coming from my unit (music, voices, doors, etc.) The prior tenants of this unit had no complaints and neither have the tenants in the unit on the other side. I have had people present when my neighbor has come to my unit to complain. They were astonished as the volume was not very loud and it was the middle of the afternoon.

It is my contention that he is being unreasonable. Seeing as how we share a wall no thicker than 12 inches he is bound to hear me occasionally. I have tried to reason with him. I have invited him in to experience the volume, told him that I can hear him as well and accept this as condo living.

He has now retained an attorney who has sent me a letter threatening a harassment suit.

Are his grounds valid?
Are mine?
What do I do?
How should I proceed?
**A: what is the complete story here? There are details missing and your post is one-sided.

rmet4nzkx

Have you been able to hear them over the noise every time they came knocking at the door to complain? Obviously something is different than before, maybe the noise or the number of friends coming over to your condo? Are you conducting business from your house?

carvelli007

I will admit that I do play music and people do come over. However, I have been very cautious about the volume and he has still complained (mid-afternoon). I am so careful now as to not even play my stereo and worry every time I turn on the TV. This is unacceptable to me.

I do not conduct business out of my house but I often do leave late at night in a hurry to respond to fire calls as I am a volunteer fire fighter.

Full story...

1. Police report 1 year ago. We patch things up.
2. Summertime. He comes over occasionally, noise is at acceptable levels.
3. Series of complaints from him about noise but I explain that it is no louder than when he was here. Still no police report.
4. Christmas time. Invite him to my party hoping to get him to go easy on me. No luck.
5. 1 month ago. Makes complaint to BOD. They send me letter.
6. 1 week ago. My car gets scratched with a key and I accuse him of it
7. Letter from attorney threatening libel and harassment suits.

The point I am trying to make is that I can hear him just as much as he can hear me but I understand that living in a town home means that you can hear your neighbor occasionally. It's as if this is unacceptible to him and he would like complete silence.

What other details would help?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">