• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

my info has been subpoenaed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

diablo2469

in los angeles
i have recieved notice from the department of motor vehicles that my information has been supboenaed from them. how do i find out why it was subpoenaed?

stephenk

there should be a phone number to call. if nothing on the letter, call your local dmv office.

Were you in an auto accident within the past 3 years?

diablo2469

yea i was in an accident last year but it wasnt my fault and their insurance already paid me out in full. the dmv letter says to contact my own legal council, not the requesting lawyer. do i have to hire a lawyer?

stephenk

it looks like the other party may be in the process of filing a lawsuit against you and they are trying to find you. if you get served with any legal papers immediately take them to your insurance carrier (the one that insured you at the time of the accident). you should also call the claims adjuster you dealt with to ask if they have been in contact by the other party or their attorney.

Who is/was your carrier?

diablo2469

that is totally wierd. they rear ended me at a stop light and they completly knew it was their fault. their insurance company(21st century) found them at fault and paid me in full. the request for my info from the dmv was from some lawyer not the insurance agancy though.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">