• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

earned income Credit-offset

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kittywillow

What is the name of your state? Kentucky

I am a single mom, with little income. I have 2 children that live with me, and one that I pay support for that lives with her father.

I have stundent loans that are in default, last year they took my refund for the student loan.

From my understanding of the earned income credit, it is to be used to help low income families. In the past I have depended on the EIC to pay bills (car ins for the year, health ins for the year, and pay past due support for my daughter)

Friends and family insists that they can't use the EIC for an offset...

Is this true, and since they did it last year, and will probably do it this year, is there anything I can do about it????

PLEASE HELP, I'M DESPERSTE HERE....I need that money... I've been off work for 3 weeks now, due to surgery, I was counting on that money to help me catch up on things...

Thank you

Snipes5

Yes, there is something you can do about it. Contact the lender and start paying back your debts.

They can and will take your entire refund, regardless of its source, until your debts are paid or you make some arrangement with the lender or collector.

Snipes

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">