• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Teacher out of control..Recording Device ok?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JEbay

What is the name of your state? New York

My daughter attends the local Middle School and is an excellent student. Her Science teacher this year (his first year teaching) has been a problem from almost day one. Both I and several parents have tried via guidance department and administration to rectify the situation but no solution has been reached. Administration sat in on a few of his classes of which he was the picture perfect teacher. However, when no one is observing him he is rude, angry, and frightening to the kids. He reprimands the kids by getting right into their faces and yelling, flailing his arms and belittling them in front of their classmates. He erupts in anger (sometimes) when the students ask him a question. States assignments were not handed in when they in fact were. There are also some main streamed special ed students mixed in the class and he is verbally insulting to these children. He seems like a loose canon that is sure explode soon. I would like to send my daughter to school with a small tape recorder to document his tirades. We live in NY and I believe it is a one party state. Do I need to notify the school district legally that the class is being recorded?

Also back in November he noticed a scientific instrument missing from his classroom and demanded the kids be searched to find out who took the item. The kids were told to empty their pockets and turn them inside out. They had to open backpacks and handbags and he searched each one. The missing item was never found. This was done while no other adult was present in the room. The kids were embarrassed and scared. Is this also something that can be legally pursued?

S

seniorjudge

Before you do any surreptious recordings, Google new york statutes eavesdropping to see if it is illegal in your state.

JEbay

Thanks but....

Thanks for the reply but I was actually going to tell the school that I was doing this . They would have full knowledge of my actions. Sorry I wasnt clear on that point.
Thanks again....Appreciate the help

S

seniorjudge

JEbay said:
Thanks for the reply but I was actually going to tell the school that I was doing this . They would have full knowledge of my actions. Sorry I wasnt clear on that point.
Thanks again....Appreciate the help
If you are going to have a student spying on a teacher, you'd better have a letter from the school board signed by all members authorizing that action. Of course, such a letter is public information so the teacher may not act up when the student in question is in the class.

JEbay

Seniorjudge

Yes I seem to be getting the idea that its not going to be an easy thing to do..Its ashame...I have put the school on written notice that this teacher is out of control and should any of the kids be harmed physically or emotionally they will be responsible.

We also need to pursue the search that was conducted in 11/04 that I noted inmy original posting. The school seems to be hoping we forgot about it all...

12,13 & 14 yr olds have enough stress in their lives that its frustrtaing that they need to put up with this from a teacher too...

Thanks for your thoughts..I really aprreciate your help.

S

seniorjudge

JEbay said:
Seniorjudge

Yes I seem to be getting the idea that its not going to be an easy thing to do..Its ashame...I have put the school on written notice that this teacher is out of control and should any of the kids be harmed physically or emotionally they will be responsible.

We also need to pursue the search that was conducted in 11/04 that I noted inmy original posting. The school seems to be hoping we forgot about it all...

12,13 & 14 yr olds have enough stress in their lives that its frustrtaing that they need to put up with this from a teacher too...

Thanks for your thoughts..I really aprreciate your help.
You are welcome and I would trade the stress I have now for the stress of a 12 year old any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

ENASNI

Brightside

Heck if the teacher is thinking he is being tape recorderd... and he is on his best behaviour... isn't problem resolved?

Past issues.. no... but present and future issues...yes?

JEbay

Wouldnt trade....

seniorjudge said:
You are welcome and I would trade the stress I have now for the stress of a 12 year old any day of the week and twice on Sunday.
SeniorJudge,
We may have more stress now but when I was 12 I thought my "little" problems were the end of the world....No thanks, I dont want those growing pains at all.....Thanks again for your help....

JEbay

ENASNI said:
Heck if the teacher is thinking he is being tape recorderd... and he is on his best behaviour... isn't problem resolved?

Past issues.. no... but present and future issues...yes?
Thats what Im hoping for...I want to see the teacher shape up and be on his best behavior..Its his first year teaching and he needs to mature. I think the middle school years are the toughest on both the child and the teacher. Its a rough age to teach but hey he picked the profession right?....
Thanks for your reply

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">