• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Paternal rights to sign away for adoption

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ann75

undefinedWhat is the name of your state? Alabama. Hi, when my 3 yr old was born his bio dad never signed the BC. No one did as a matter of fact. I am now married and my husband wants to adopt my son. the bio dad has only seen him one time when he was three months old. He has been told he's the bio dad but has never showed any interest in supporting him or visiting him. 1st question: Does he have to sign over paternal right or does he not have any? He has never paid me one cent. Second question: Is there a statute of limitations to sue for child support if the adoption does not take place. If a dna testing has not been done before a certain time after his birth does the bio dad not have to pay CS? Third question: If we take the bio dad to court so my husband can legally adopt him who pays for the dna testing ( i assume the court would order a dna test) if he contest the adoption and wants visitation rights? Anyone ever delt with this situation? Please send some advise my way.

thanks,
Ann75

Last edited:

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
IN all honesty, adoption is something that really should not be a DIY project. Your BEST bet is to consult with an adoption atty in AL so that you are certain all i's are dotted and all t's crossed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">