• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

lost sale due to neighbor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hunting4junk

What is the name of your state?Missouri

a few years ago I bought a small home on 8 acreas of land. About a year after I moved in the neighbor put up some gates on the easement that myself and 3 other families use to access our homes. I have tried to deal with him nicely to no avail and our local sherriffs department does nothing. they actually act like they are scared of him. I have an easement that was put into effect years before he bought his property but he claims it doesn't exist. I hired a lawyer draw up an offer to build a fence down the side of the easement at no cost to him and he responded to my offer by threatening to kill me and my family( he's actually done this several times and so has his son)
recently we bought a larger home across town and put this one up for sale. When the real-estate agents show the home he drives down by our house on his 4 wheeler with a gun and then shuts the gates to intimidate prospective buyers. We finally got an offer and then when they went to look at the house a second time he done this to them and they rejected our counter offer based on his actions. I know I need an injunction from the court to get this stopped while the mess goes to court. I'm having a hard time getting the money to take him to court just for the injunction let alone anything else. my Question is can I sue him for damages and or lost revenue due to his intentional scare tactics that have cost us the sale of our house? My easement states: a non-exclusive roadway easement title for ingress and egress to the above described tract over and across a presently existing 30 feet wide roadway connecting with the state highway.
The existing roadway has been there since the early 1900's if that makes any difference.

S

seniorjudge

Question is can I sue him for damages and or lost revenue due to his intentional scare tactics that have cost us the sale of our house?

A: You can certainly try; whether you succeed or not is an entirely different question.

Let me just add that you better get the easement problem solved before you try to sell this land or you'll be back on this forum wanting to know where you can hire a good real estate attorney to defend you against a lawsuit that the buyers brought.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">