• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

deceased tax filing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

brooknight

What is the name of your state? NY

Not sure how to ask this, but about 1 year ago my mom passed away. She had some mutual funds that the bank sold when they found out that she died. Now we received a tax statement from the bank (1099-div, and 1099-b). My father filed last year as joint with mom as deceased.

My older brother is the estate administrator. The bank tax form has his name as administrator to my mom's estate and includes the tax id number.

How do we take care of this? Is there a special estate form that we must file? Besides the bank statement, there're no other tax forms. The money is still in the bank and is going towards my father. What's the cost basis since the bank sold the funds? The cost basis is confusing me since I believe it's whatever market value it was when it was sold.. but what do I enter in turbotax?

And how should my father file this year? File as widowed or jointly with deceased, i.e., don't file the estate form separately?

Thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">