• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can Prospective Employer force me to pay for Background Check?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

asiegrist

What is the name of your state? North Carolina

Can a employer require an applicant to aquire and pay for their own background check? Background check is completely clear, nothing to hide...just principle of the matter!

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

asiegrist said:
What is the name of your state? North Carolina

Can a employer require an applicant to aquire and pay for their own background check? Background check is completely clear, nothing to hide...just principle of the matter!

My response:

Probably. But, check with the Department of Labor in your State for the final word. Landlords can also do the same thing that's happening to you when it comes to prospective tenants.

IAAL

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No, the employer cannot force you to pay for the background check.

But neither do they have any obligation to hire you if a background check is not performed. (Or even if it is.)

Check with the DOL by all means. I understand what you're saying about the principle. But the principle might end up costing you the job.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">