• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

anyone who can help?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

adoptionmistake

What is the name of your state?PA
I am wondering if anyone knows the laws pertaining to my situation.
I was married 2 years ago and had my new husband adopt my daughter from a previous marriage. Everything was great until I found out he had lied about his past and who he was. He posed as a navy seal, a member of Mensa, a Rutgers alumni etc. To make a long story short, he was none of these. Only a man who has been married twice before, with bad credit and a history of drug use etc. I was fooled. Before I found all this out, he adopted my daughter who is now six. Does anyone know if I divorce him and go away, can I take his rights away? Any help you give would be great.
Thanks.

HomeGuru

adoptionmistake said:
What is the name of your state?PA
I am wondering if anyone knows the laws pertaining to my situation.
I was married 2 years ago and had my new husband adopt my daughter from a previous marriage. Everything was great until I found out he had lied about his past and who he was. He posed as a navy seal, a member of Mensa, a Rutgers alumni etc. To make a long story short, he was none of these. Only a man who has been married twice before, with bad credit and a history of drug use etc. I was fooled. Before I found all this out, he adopted my daughter who is now six. Does anyone know if I divorce him and go away, can I take his rights away? Any help you give would be great.
Thanks.
**A: he is the legal father of your daughter and you can't just take that right away.

adoptionmistake

thanks for your input. My situation is scarry. We have no idea who we are living with. Aren't there falsification laws or something?

nextwife

Read the archives. Newly married woman should NOT be rushing their new husbands into adopting their kids. They should first have a few years of marriage under their belt. My personal opinion is that we see way too many women who are in a big hurry to terminate biodad from their lives. They should give the marriage time and make sure it's going to work BEFORE even considering step adoption. Regardless of biodad's involvement level.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">