• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Charges Dropped was Innocent! what now?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

subbie77

What is the name of your state? Ohio!

I have a long painful story. I was working for my landlord For little over a year at his small owned video store <i also worked there for 4 years back in 1996-2000) In december 2004 his son tony came back to work and took over for the daugther who was running the place. I was told he left his life of 10 years in CA in which he owned and ran a credit card bussniess because he with held somebodys last check and they threaten to beat him up so he left. yeah i know sounds fishy.
To make this short, In Jan I was taken in the back room with my landlord joe and tony, Tony was asking me about a shortage in the lottery tickets. I was like what shortage? he claimed that i was short in lottery On a Sunday 40.00 and a tuesday 70.00. i was asking him to show me the shortage, and how did he know it was mine as well for we never counted down our draws ourself. Nobody counted down draws. I worked mornings and when second shift girl came in she would run the draw the rest of the night and place all the money in a video box and put it into back safe. He told me in was a long complacted graph at his house that he did not have with him.
After A short while they were accussing me a stealing, threaten me to break my legs and with evicition if i did not sign a promise to return the money short. I was Scared because i have no place to go and regretfully signed a paper to work off my shortage.
next thing I knew he wrote at the bottom that i was short 100.00 a day times 300 day equals $30,000. after i signed for the 40.00 and 70.00. meanwhile they called the cops and had me arrested. When my roommate called them to find out what was going on why was i in jail the landlady said she had to take a 30,000 loan out for what i stole and that he how he found out what happend.. Mind you though is a small owned video store our last year income there was about 72,000 WHOLE YEAR. and i was supposely to take half of that ?
The next day I was released form jail, Stating Charges was Dropped. not hearing no court date nothing. I spoke to lawyers about this and they said i can file a civil suit and a Crimnal suit against them but wanted to much money which i have none. not to meation my family wanted me to dropped it and move on with my life. I have yet decied what to do on this.
Now i am looking for a job. I fear that this is haunting me. I fear that my arrest is on my background. could this be if charges was dropped and nothing has happend? I feel this was insureance Fraud. they are shady People. taking advange of meatal handicap having them work for food. they also have own a lot of the city bussiness and homes. I don't want them to get any money form insurance.
two Questions: how long do i have to file a civil and a crimnal suit? they held me and i was told that is a from of kidnapping in a back room and stood in my way and threat me?
And Is this arrest on my record? if so how can i go about getting it off. I was innocent and was told that the cops shouldn't have arrested me at all. and charges were dropped? filling out applactions what do i put under conviction of a crime?
thank you!

S

seniorjudge

It doesn't sound to me that you have a conviction to report.

I would be hiring a good lawyer to sue these people.

subbie77

i even told the cops when asked why did i sign that , i said number 1 no $30,000 was on there . Number 2 my landlord was saying he was going to evict me out of my house, Number 3 tony was threten me to break my legs. The asked my landlord if he was short 30,000.00 and he said No.. yet i was still arrested.
I was sick for weeks afarid to leave my own home, i never been in trouble before in my life. not a speeding ticket nothing. I work with banks and money and i afaird that is why i haven't gotten hired anywhere since then that on my background check it says i was arrested? will it say that if charges was dropped? I tried to do public records on my self but they always want money to check your background. This new place check my credit whice isn't bad and still have not called me for the job when i am well quailafied for it. and still have the sign posted. I met with the manager and was awaiting for DM to contact me. I thought interveiw went well. we talked for over 2 hours. Could this be on my record? can i get it off ?
thank you !!
JR
PS. I know i should be taking them to the cleaners, but it got kind of scary because 5 days after my release my sisters car window got busted. again is there a time frame i need to have this done by, this happend 1-2005

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">