• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stepmom wants to adobt-bio-mom unsure

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kittywillow

What is the name of your state? Kentucky-They live in Alasaka

I have 3 children (7,9,11)

To try and make a very long story short.....5 years ago I found out I was bipolar. I was hospitalized. My ex was notified, and given temporary custody of our daughter then 4 years old. my aunt was given temporary custody of my other 2 children until I was stabilized (ex is not their father). I co-operated with DCF and did everything they told me to do. i visited with my kids that were with my aunt as much as DCF and mu aunt would allow. My ex only allowed my 1 visit while she was with him in missouri.

Once I did everythin DCF wanted me to do, we went to court to see if the judge would allow the children to come back home. I realized that with my being bi-polar my children had been through alot. I didn't want to hurt my children anymore. I talked with the social worker, and she was going to recommend to the judge that the children come home. I decided to give the kids the choice of if they wanted to come home, or stay where they were. I only wanted what was best for my kids.

The 2 that were with my aunt, said they wanted to come home. My oldest, then 6, told the social worker that she had seen the change in mom (due to the meds). My middle child, who I only saw once, said she wanted to stay with her dad and come visit me....so that was teh agreement.

My ex-is in the military, and has been stationed in Alaska for the past few years. Since his move to Alaska, I have only gotten to see her twice when she came to spend the summer with me.

I try to keep incontact with her over the phone, but she is never there when I call, or no one answers. I haven't actually spoke to her since July. (I think her step-mom and dad have tried to keep me from contacting her, I think they are lying when they say she isn't there.

Out of the blue, last week my ex called and wanted to know if I would allow his wife to adopt our daughter. I was blown away. When I asked why, he said that she (daughter) wanted it. I asked to speak with her, but he said she was asleep. I told him I needed to think about it. Yesterday, my ex's wife called, and wanted to know what I had decided. I asked her why they wanted to do this. She said that my ex had just finialized the adopted on her oldest son, and now Faith (daughter) wanted her to adopt her. Again I asked to speak to Faith, and was told she wasn't home from school yet.

I don't know what their motive would be for wife to adopt daughter.

My question is, If I do allow this, will I still be able to see her? Can there be a stipulation in the papers that allow me to visit with her?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Once she's adopted, you will have no rights whatsoever. I'd think very carefully on this one.

adoptionmistake

I agree, once the adoption happens, it's final. I am into a situation where I want to take the adoptive father's rights away because her turned out to be ill and dangerous. Don't do it unless you know this woman very very very well. Give it time. Don't rush. My life has turned into me guarding my daughter 24/7 b/c I am unsure of this man that adopted her. Be carefull.
It's no way to live. I of course, know nothing about the legal end of it all, you may be able to get a clause like that , but I have never heard of such a thing. Good luck.

crystaly

Yes, there is open adoption where you agree on the paper work to still be able to be involved in the childs life. Although even if they agree to this its hard to get anyone to comply because you did sign over your rights. If you decide not to sign over your rights then they can try to terminate your rights due to abandonment. abandonment can only be claimed if you do not contact or support your child. I believe they are trying to keep you from talking to the child IMO to be able to use the no contact clause in family law. Although you would have to look up Alaska family laws to find out how that state does adoption. But remember you can fight that because you have contacted her and they just won't let you talk to her. They can not be keeping you from her, it has to be you NEVER calling. There are ways around adoption if you can't get the other parents consent. Make sure you save all of your phone bills to prove you have contacted her if you decide not to allow the child to be adopted. So beware of that. If you can't show up to court to contest it because he is in Alaska or something like that. Hope this helps.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">