• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

job unfufilled

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

plspat

What is the name of your state?`maryland

I received a written job offer stating my start date, my salary and my position. I accepted this offer and gave my 2 weeks notice to my current employer. I than received an e mail from my future employer telling me that they can not honor the job offer. Do I have any legal grounds for breach of contract

Last edited:

Beth3

Highly doubtful because a job offer is not a contract. However you may have a claim of detrimental reliance if you have sustained damages as a result of their rescinding the offer. You'll need to speak with a local attorney about that.

eerelations

And the attorney will want to know if you did anything to mitigate your losses, i.e., did you ask your boss if you could please change your mind about your resignation? So you'd best ask that question quick before your boss replaces you.

alfie9999

Offer rescinded

IF the employer would have hired you and then laid you off after one day, most companies provide at least 2 weeks severance pay, so why is it not possible to collect this when the offer is rescinded? . I am not sure that the laws are fair when it comes to this issue of detrimental reliance and employment at will. Like may other laws, it favors businesses vs individuals. Because of market economics, a company looses much less than an individual when the individual rescinds an offer vs a company rescinding that offer !!! The only way a plaintiff can win in such a case is by a lengthy and expensive legal process and big brother always has the upper hand here!!!

Beth3

IF the employer would have hired you and then laid you off after one day, most companies provide at least 2 weeks severance pay, so why is it not possible to collect this when the offer is rescinded? Because (a) severance is always voluntary on the part of the employer, and (b) it's not a factual statement to say most companies provide at least two weeks of severance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">