• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

HIPPA and sharing info in treatment teams

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

phineasjwhoppe

What is the name of your state? My girlfriend lives in Louisiana and went to her Oschner health clinic to see her OBGYN. While they were chatting the Dr. looked through her file and mentioned that she noticed my girlfriend was seeing the social worker there for therapy and remarked about something in the therapy notes which my girlfriend had never told her the OBGYN. When she complained that she did not want her OBGYN or anyone else having information about emotional health she was told that because they were in the same clinic they were considered part of the same treatment team and therefore there was nothing she could do about it.

Needless to say she was very upset that information she thought she was sharing only with her therapist could be accessed by others.

Doesn't HIPPA dictate that they should have a seperate files for the different disciplines? If so how can she make Oschner change their filing system. She doesn't want any money she just wants to make sure no one can get her info that doesn't NEED it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">