• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Alimony

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sam888

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? My state is Oregon
My Ex is in California (We divorced in Calif)

I have been divorced for 6 years. In that time I have received alimony and am due to continue until 2009. My ex has stated that he is going to end the alimony and take me to court. It is a Goliath and David situation. His father is very rich and powerful and i wouldn't stand a chance in court. I cannot afford an attorney and they know that. I am living with our daughter and she and I take care of all our own bills and rent and the like. She is hanging on by thread since her father has turned. He has found a woman with twin 11 year old girls and is desparate to marry to "move on" with his life. So cutting us off is his solution. I was not allowed to work for our 20 year marriage, and the abuse was at times unbearable. I have no resume and have only been able to find minimal jobs. My ex has said that if he finds out I am working ... he will cut off the alimony saying I am self supporting. I cannot hide from this man ... he is in my computer and my bank accounts. He works real estate and has bragged that he can look up anyone's business without it showing on the person's credit report. His father hands him $50,000.00 a year and he has sold many homes, yet now cries poor mouth. His father has found a way to hide his payout. I am out of stones. Any advice? Sam

jill collin

alimony

I live in mass. I was married for a short time approx 2 yrs it was an on and off again kind of thing.We decided to morgage my house to buy a bed and breakfast to togther in another town, (approx $200,000 plus my kids trust fund of $37,000) the marriage was still shakey. He paid only two morgage payments (he thought the b&b would support the bill and morgage knowing there was no eveidence of tha plus being the 1st year bussiness and from records from the past owners)the house was $750,000 I paid off his bills fix up the other house, and put down $150,000 on the new house he signed the note. When we got divorced the title was tranfered in my name only, he volunteered to pay $2,000 towards expenses of the house for 6mnths or till it sold (which it hasn't) he is in three payment in the rears and say if I try to fight him I'll lose and I will have to pay him money back. Recently I ask the court to motify the agreement to extened it untill the house get sold.now he is enen more angry. I can't afford a lawyer and I would like to know if I have a shot in hell and what the law about aquired assest in a marriage and if he should help pay the expensice so I don't loses every dime I have. He says he doesn't care if the house forcloses because he has oher properties and I think has moved in with another women who has a place (his M.O.)Also when we got married I was diabled and didn't work at that time, then running the B&B was my job. am I entitled to have help finacially till the house sells? Also is the reason the marriage broke down have any bearing on the outcome?

sam888

stealth2 said:
Sam - what does your order say (specifically) about alimony and termination?
My Marital Settlement Agreement paper work says that:

The parties agree that the following amount of spousal support does meet the current needs of the recipient for support.

A. In consideration of the other terms of this marital agreement,
Respondant agrees to pay Petitioner, the sum of $ per month, payable on the 15th day of each month beginning 1/15/1999 and continuing until 12/15/2009.

That is what it says.

The problem I have now is that he is sending vaguely threatening letters ... (he used to work for lawyers in L.A.) on my e-mail.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">