• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

was it against the law?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ashlincoln

What is the name of your state? ohio

My ex employer called me into his office 2/14/2005 to have a talk. He told me that he is buying out his brothers company and his brother is going to be the new boss. He told me and 2 other co workers that he dont think we could work under his brother, because we wouldn't get along. One co worker didn't even have a chance to talk to my ex empolyer because my ex employer made me put his name with mine on a paper that he signed stating that he layed me and that co worker off and gave me his check to give to him. My ex employer would not take any of my co workers phone calls. When my co worker stoped in at the shop he talked to his wife he then asked her what he is supposed to put on his unemployment because he didn't quit and wanted to know why he was fired. She said that he wasent fired he quit but he didn't and when he told her that, he then said "well i should be working then right sense i didn't quit and i wasent fired", and she said no your not aloud and that she would have our ex employer call him to talk but he never did. So he layed me and 2 other co workes off and told us that we could draw unemployment. Then we found out that he is not buying out his brothers business and hired a bunch of family members in place of us. We know this because i have a uncle that works for my ex employers brother. I head that he couldn't do this and it is agaist the law so now what should i do?

Last edited:

HomeGuru

ashlincoln said:
What is the name of your state? ohio

My ex employer called me into his office 2/14/2005 to have a talk. He told me that he is buying out his brothers company and his brother is going to be the new boss. He told me and 2 other co workers that he dont think we could work under his brother, because we wouldn't get along. One co worker didn't even have a chance to talk to my ex empolyer because my ex employer made me put his name with mine on a paper that he signed stating that he layed me and that co worker off and gave me his check to give to him. My ex employer would not take any of my co workers phone calls. When my co worker stoped in at the shop he talked to his wife he then asked her what he is supposed to put on his unemployment because he didn't quit and wanted to know why he was fired. She said that he wasent fired he quit but he didn't and when he told her that, he then said "well i should be working then right sense i didn't quit and i wasent fired", and she said no your not aloud and that she would have our ex employer call him to talk but he never did. So he layed me and 2 other co workes off and told us that we could draw unemployment. Then we found out that he is not buying out his brothers business and hired a bunch of family members in place of us. We know this because i have a uncle that works for my ex employers brother. I head that he couldn't do this and it is agaist the law so now what should i do?
**A: what is against the law?

pattytx

Guru, I'm not sure either. :confused:

However, if the question is can the employer fire you so they can hire a family member, yes this is legal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">