• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrongful Termination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MFS

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? New York
I was fired from my job two weeks ago. I was hired in Sept.03 as a Secretary/Receptionist in a parochial school. . I did my job as was asked and got along well with teachers and parents. The nun, who was principal, was very difficult to work for. This was not only me but for the teachrs as well. There was hardly ever a time you could speak up for yourself because she would insist on what you did or was missing was my fault when most of the time it was her incompetence. The secretary before me just up and quit after 5 years.
In the year and half I worked there she was many times verbally abusive or bullying in her words.
I took this low paying job because I was going through a divorce and was over 50. I needed a full time job and had to get back into the work force. She knew I needed this job to help supplement my alimony and support my two teenagers.
She fired me at the end of the day, with no warning. There had never been an annual review or performance discussion. She had given me a raise in Sept 04 so I thought I was doing OK and even though she complained about things.She gave me a flimsy excuse that the job was overwhelming at times.
Ironically she had given me less to do over the past two months.
She was never satisfied, even when I worked overtime to get a project done and cover her butt because she always did things the last minute, I never once received a thankyou. I even substituted in the classroom on ocassion for her. I have 6 hand writtne pages of incidents that have happened with her since I have worked there.
She also knew at my age, now 55, I would have a hard time findinga job. I do not have the computer skills of someone who has worked in offices for the past 20 years.
Do I have a case?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Not on the basis of what you have posted.

New York is an at-will state (as are 48 of the other 49 states). In an at-will state, you can quit at any time and for any reason, and you can be fired at any time and for any reason not specifically prohibited by law.

Wrongful terminations come in two types; violations of Title VII and violations of public policy. Title VII violations are when you are terminated BECAUSE OF your race, religion, national origin and so on. (You can legally be terminated in spite of your membership in a protected group, just not because of it.) Public policy violations are when you are terminated BECAUSE you applied for or utilized a right or benefit that is protected under the law, to include but not limited to filing a workers comp claim, applying for FMLA, reporting unsafe conditions to OSHA or illegal activity to the appropriate regulatory agency, attending a union organization meeting or joining a union, etc.

Nothing in your post suggests that you were fired BECAUSE OF any of the reasons above, and without that, your termination, while possibly unfair, is legal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">