• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Caught for Shoplifting, but got away

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

diwomno

What is the name of your state?GA

I bought something from a store, but I also took soemthing. As I was leaving the store, the sensor alarm went off. Can they and will they try to look up the charge draft that I signed when I bought an item, and then try to find out my information and charge me with shoplifting?

Last edited:

snostar

diwomno said:
Can they and will they try to look up the charge draft that I signed when I bought an item, and then try to find out my information and charge me with shoplifting?
Count on it!

JarMow

Uh Oh

"Forgot to pay" did ya? Thats a shame. But to answer your question, yes, they will.

(Added) Actually, they may try to find out your info, but i'm not sure if they can charge you with shoplifting. Some of the other guys can help, but to be charged I believe they will need to see you actually attempt to flee with the item. Was it blatant that you were escaping with something stolen (running across parking lot) or did you simply continue walking? Suppose the cashier forgot to de-tag your items. Of course, thats a moot point if the sensor beeps and you hit the doors running.

Last edited:

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
JarMow said:
Suppose the cashier forgot to de-tag your items. Of course, thats a moot point if the sensor beeps and you hit the doors running.
It's also a moot point when they look at the receipt and see the item's not on it.

Urtenfifteen

Count on it!
Unfortunantly for the store, simply having a sensor activation and your personal information is not evidence of a crime and no law enforcement officer or investigator would make the arrest because no prosecutor would bring this before a judge.
Simply because I think someone stole something from me doesn't mean squat unless I can tell an officer what was stolen.
A retail sensor being tripped by an exiting customer is not a crime, it is only an indicator to the store that you may have something on your person that wasn't paid for. If they had witnessed you stealing and had proof enough to prosecute, then there would have been someone waiting there to apprehend you.
And by the way, you are NOT legally required to submit to a search because a sensor went off. They may call the police, but if a EAS alarm is all the evidence they had then police won't even be dispatched in my state.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Unfortunantly for the store, simply having a sensor activation and your personal information is not evidence of a crime and no law enforcement officer or investigator would make the arrest because no prosecutor would bring this before a judge.
Simply because I think someone stole something from me doesn't mean squat unless I can tell an officer what was stolen.
A retail sensor being tripped by an exiting customer is not a crime, it is only an indicator to the store that you may have something on your person that wasn't paid for. If they had witnessed you stealing and had proof enough to prosecute, then there would have been someone waiting there to apprehend you.
And by the way, you are NOT legally required to submit to a search because a sensor went off. They may call the police, but if a EAS alarm is all the evidence they had then police won't even be dispatched in my state.

This thread is 4-1/2 years old :eek:

Don't necropost

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">