• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

what to do now?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ashlincoln

What is the name of your state?ohio

Yeah i was layed off work and was told that i could draw unemployment. I had my boss sign a paper saying that i could get unemployment. well, i filed for unemployment and i have waited 3 weeks to see if it went through and i was denied because i'm still in school. I'm in a work class that lets me get out of school at 10:30am and i have the rest of the day so i can work. I was putting in 40+ hours of work a week and was denied for unemloyment. i think because i paid into the government for over a year that they should help me out. Is it wrong for them to denie me? What should i do now?

Beth3

a) Your employer does not decide who receives unemployment and who does not. The State does. Your boss's signature on a piece of paper that says you can get unemployment is meaningless.

b) You have not paid anything towards the cost of unemployment insurance. It is entirely paid by employers via a payroll tax.

c) You are free to appeal the Initial Determination and file for a hearing with the State if you disagree with their decision to deny you benefits.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You are welcome to appeal the decision. However, if you do not qualify under your state's laws, you can appeal it all the way up to the State Supreme Court and the decision will not change. You do not have a right to receive UI regardless of whether you qualify or not.

BTW, your boss does not have any say in whether you get unemployment or not. It isn't his decision; it's the state's decision. He can decide whether to contest benefits or not, but if you don't qualify for benefits it doesn't matter whether he contests or not. So the paper you "had him sign" is worthless.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">