• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Am I entitled to alimony?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jjorda88

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? CA

I was married for 13 years and now am divorced for 6. I received no alimony because I was working and received around the same salary as my former husband. This last year I have become permantly disabled and receive social security benefits. My ex husband has since remarried and is a two salary household. After all this time has passed, could I be entitled to alimony?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Because you're no longer married to him, he didn't cause your disability, and he is no longer responsible for you. Suppose the situation was reversed - would you think it reasonable for you to support him this many years after the fact?

BelizeBreeze

jjorda88 said:

I was married for 13 years and now am divorced for 6. I received no alimony because I was working and received around the same salary as my former husband. This last year I have become permantly disabled and receive social security benefits. My ex husband has since remarried and is a two salary household. After all this time has passed, could I be entitled to alimony?
The gravy train ended six years ago. :rolleyes:

VeronicaGia

jjorda88 said:

And I would like to know why you think a two salaried household would have anything to do with it. Do you think his new wife should support you too?

Aestivalis

Actually, I have a similar question...

My State is California.

I'm the husband in this situation, and I pretty much supported my wife through college. Because of her degree, she earns twice what I do. Recently, she's become unstabe (paranoid), and I may have to get out of the marriage (she won't seek help, and you can't convince a paranoid person that they aren't being watched or followed).

If I get a divorce (due to "irreconcileable differences", since she can still work and function in society), will I be entitled to alimony? The rent in my part of the State is so high, I may not be able to afford anything but a rat-hole on my single income. I just want enough to almost balance it out so I can live in a decent place. We currently live in a "nice" neighborhood, but I'd settle for an "ok" neighborhood. I'm in my late 30's, so I don't think I could live with someone as a roommate, and I really don't want to have to live in the ghetto/barrio.

She had recently talked about buying a home, but I find it inconceivable to get into such a financial commitment with her in this state. Please help.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Aestivalis - you'd be best off if you start your own thread. Also, please include how long you've been married, whether there are children, etc. Thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">