• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Family Leave

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cqlands

What is the name of your state? New Jersey
What happen with my case was that I was in family leave due to my father bein terminally ill but then me (Stuped)decited to come back to work for few days then ask my service manager that I needed more time off to look out for my father he got a little fussy specially that him and I do not worked together well anyway but finally he said to do what I had to do ,after about 5 days I get a termination of employment letter becouse he said that I JUST took off I worked at this place for 8 years never had a issue like this I have always been responsiable and on time. I was really not concern with his letter I could get a job the next day so ,I ask my Union rep just to ask them to give good refferences about me and my workmanship , they agreed, now it result that they are giving bad refferences about my self and this is causding me trouble to get a job I have proof that my father was terminally ill and his time is short with me please advise
thank you much

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
1.) How many employees does this employer have within a 75 mile radius of your location?
2.) Did you work full time or part time?
3.) How much leave had you taken in TOTAL during the last 12 months?
4.) How do you know they are giving you bad references BECAUSE OF your taking family leave?

cqlands

less than 50
I know they are giving me bad references because every employer that I inerview tells me that I have great qualifications and that only need to get references then they said that they are not looking any more

cqlands

I was a full time employee
they are giving bad references about me not just because I took family leave.but in general and I having a hard time finding employment.

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Since your employer had less than 50 employees, your leave was not protected by law and your employer was legally entitled to fire you for missing the time.

Bad references are not illegal. Only untrue references are illegal. If they are telling prospective employers that they had a problem with your attendance, that is perfectly legal. They are legally allowed to say anything they wish as long as it is either true or represents their honest opinion of you, your capabilities and your work.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">