• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

wrongful accusation from years past

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

montadopt

What is the name of your state? Montana

Sixteen years ago, when I was only 19 years old, I worked for a day camp where a guardian of one of the children contacted the police because of a fictitious story told by the young girl involving me. I went and talked to a police detective, and one day later the issue was dropped as it turned out that the accusation was unsubstantiated. I continued to work for the day camp that summer and was re-hired the following summer.

Since then, I have worked with children for 13 years as a high school teacher, with an impeccable record.

Here's the catch: My wife and I are looking into adoption. One of the papers that we need to fill out asks if I have ever been investigated for any criminal activity. I feel that even with a complete explanation of the facts, that disclosure of this ridiculous accusation would be suicide as far as our adoption attempts are concerned....

I have a relative that works in the criminal-justice system, and he seems to think that this paperwork is probably buried pretty deep, if it is even around at all anymore.

Does anyone how long such records are kept? How hard are they to find? If I wanted to see these records, could I? (It was so long ago that I would be afraid that I would not remember 100% of the details - as a teenager, I was just relieved that it was over!). May I want to consider hiring an attorney to look into this issue?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

MovinSouth

Records are never buried that deep when it comes to adopting a child. I would get a lawyer, because when you adopt a child you need one anyway.

montadopt

The question still arises, do we even have any chance? Am I wasting money hiring a lawyer? It seems that in these kind of circumstances, that the innocent are quite routinely persecuted due to unfortunate random events.

Even with a lawyer, if a church-related adoption program wants to drop us, I don't see any way of pushing the issue legally.

I just get the feeling that if they see this BS (whether from us, a lawyer, or the pope himself), that they're going drop us real fast.

PaulRobert

Letter Of Recommendation

If the matter was dropped because the accusation was declared unfounded and you were not in any kind of trouble with the law at a later time, then the legal system would not take an interest in it. When a matter is dropped but the person involved is arrested within a certain time (6 mos typically) then they would reexamine the first charge in light of the second. In the case of social services agencies, reports declared unfounded are expunged. My point is: If this is adoption is through a church, then you should expect them to be even more understanding than the legal system. They should assess this report based upon their knowledge of your character and not assess your character based upon a report later declared unfounded. If they do not know you well enough to evaluate you, then refer them to your record both at camp and at school. And get someone of influence to write you a letter of recommendation for you. A teacher friend, Mrs. B., did this for a man whose past drinking habits stood in the way of his adopting a child and the agency reversed its decision and accepted the couple based upon Mrs. B's letter. Besides, "Accept no accusation against an teacher unless it is supported by two or three witnesses" is the Biblical maxim! I don't think you will find these people intransigent.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">