• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

help police harrassment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

igggie

What is the name of your state?tx hi my son was arrested yesterday for telephone harassment this will be taken care in a court of law , but what angered me a police officer pulled him over today to see if he still had a warrant for his arrest then proceeded to ask if he and the young lady were sleeping together he thinks he loves the girl they are both too young but that's beside the point, he did call her after the parents said no and she called him so it was a back and forth deal but what right does this police officer have to pull my son over search my vehicle and ask these personal questions this is to be taken care in court. what am i to do is this going to be ongoing

CdwJava

He had your son lawfully detained as he was checking on the status of the warrant. At that time, the officer can ASK any question he wants. If he was with a young lady that appeared to be underage then it is a perfectly valid question ... similar to seeing a stereo in the back seat and asking if it was stolen.

- Carl

fedcop110

but what right does this police officer have to pull my son over search my vehicle and ask these personal questions
If the officer has knowledge of the warrant then he may stop your son to verify the status. Its a valid stop.

igggie

police harrassment

no the status of the warrant was at the police station he had already been brought in and let go the sherrif said all the officer had to do was call in to the dpt he would have been told such .no young lady was with him and the question was out of line , i mean have you ever heard of an officer asking a young man if he was having sex jimmy cricket.the officer was working for the girls father and not the county. the officer was returning a favor to the father during duty hours and that was wrong. as for as the telephone harrassment charges go ive copied something like 40 emails for him from the girl and some pretty wild stuff like don't listen to your mom etc;;; i will not let my dad hurt you etc;;; im just hoping he's not contacting her that would blow everything to heck. the county judge say's when he gets the paperwork we will talk it takes a while for them to walk it across to the court house lol.
ive also checked the pr bond there was no waiver of the right not to be searched. but my son was polite and did whatever the police officer requested. also my youngest son was in the car with my other son too asking such personal questions it made my youngest very uncomfortable and scared i don't want him to mistrust police officers but he even said what the officer did was wrong it didn't feel right. anyway what am i to do if it continues ive already notified the officers supervisor and that's as far as i'd like it to go unless it cont.

CdwJava

Well, if I see someone driving along that I knew had a warrant the other day, I might make detain him first, and THEN call to check on the warrant. It's perfectly lawful.

Again, as long as the questions were not against the law (and I am hard pressed to think of a question that might be against the law ... improper does not mean it is unlawful), then there is no cause of action. If the officer were stopping your son all the time and asking such questions, then I can see that there might be a problem. But I have stopped suspects for infractions or possible warrants and asked them questions about unlawful intercourse ... if they dodge your calls, sometimes that's a good way to catch them off guard.

Asking a person who has been accused of unlawful intercourse, "Hey, I hear you and your girl did the deed - is that true?" is not illegal OR improper. And somehow the incident came to the attention of the officer. Unless he was acting outside the scope of his authority, I don't see a problem here.

If you have an issue with the question, you need to speak with his supervisor.

- Carl

igggie

yes i have spoke to hi supervisor and hopefully this will stop. he was stopping my son at the request of the father. not out of any concern about the warrant in fact they both knew my son had been brought in. the charges were phone harrassment which i should have filed against her lol for all the calls she makes here. the charges had nothing to do with unlawful sex. by the way they are only a year and a half apart and were engaged with her parents approval til his dad died. why would a officer of the law ask these questions with a minor my youngest son and my baby's friends on board needless to say they were quite upset. and had quite a story to tell there parents who are now upset too lol. i guess discretion is not his middle name. this police officer has alot of area to patrol and with all the bars and all the speeders, and since its rural and a lot of drug runners domestic disputes etc;;; why waste time on something so petty and that already had been done. he could have maybe been patroling my neighborhood and caught whoever broke into the weekenders lake house. no he wasted county time doing something that had already been done. it took us a lot of years too at least to get one patrolman to stay in our area before that we were lucky if an officer got to us under an hour and a half depending on road conditions lol so can you see why we are upset at the patrolman's actions .im not saying my son was right she'd call and he'd reply he believes he's in love with the young lady. and i don't blame the parents for getting concerned about the relationship because he flipped after his dad died (father died violently and the matter is still under investigation in that county), his father lived 3hours away. As of now we are waiting for the county judge to get the paperwork from the police dpt before i can bring any evidence on his behalf to him the receptionist says things go real slow here lol i say that's an understatement. what im hoping is that they don't know that there daughter is calling and emailing my son and that she's just playing a game and hopefully the judge will be able to figure it out.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">