• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Overweight as warning for termination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pborgs

undefinedWhat is the name of your state? Georgia
Can you please tell me if a manager can indicate on a review that part of your development plan (for future success employment) is to loose weight. I am 35 years old and probably about 30 pounds overweight, probably not condsidered obese.

rmet4nzkx

The determination of obesity is based on your height and bone structure, BMI not your age.

Is your appearance or size a part of your employment qualifications? Is there a dress code? We need more informaiton. Weight discrimination is not widely recognized.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Actually, we don't need any additional information at all.

There is only one state, Michigan, where weight is a characteristic protected by law.

Personal appearance is protected in the District of Columbia and in a small handful of municipal areas, mostly if not entirely in California.

It is not protected in Georgia, or in most of the country.

Since neither weight nor personal appearance is protected where you are, it is LEGAL for them to discriminate on that basis. Therefore, yes, your manager can legally make your losing weight part of your development plan, regardless of whether or not it actually is a job function, and regardless of whether or not you are actually obese.

Let me go on record as saying that I do not necessarily agree with the practice. It is, however, legal.

pattytx

There is only one state, Michigan, where weight is a characteristic protected by law.
Guess I need to move there, then. :eek:

Having said that, however, there is no reason that a person who is 30 lbs overweight cannot be well groomed, well dressed, and look very professional. It costs a little more for clothes that fit well and look business-like, but it's not impossible. OTOH, maybe this might be the incentive you need to lose the weight I know you've wanted to lose.

Good luck.

pattytx said:
Guess I need to move there, then. :eek:

Having said that, however, there is no reason that a person who is 30 lbs overweight cannot be well groomed, well dressed, and look very professional. It costs a little more for clothes that fit well and look business-like, but it's not impossible. OTOH, maybe this might be the incentive you need to lose the weight I know you've wanted to lose.

Good luck.
It would be a better idea if we all moved to Montana.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">