• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Social Security Disability Outside of USA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

vtaleysnik

I live in Illinoise, I'm 27 old and would like to apply for Social Security Disability, my wife is Thai and live in Thailand. If I move to Thailand am I still eligable for benefits and how I can receive them ?

Thank you,

Vlad

Last edited:

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

vtaleysnik said:
I live in Illinoise, I'm 27 old and recieving Social Security Disability, my wife is Thai and live in Thailand. If I move to Thailand am I still eligable for benefits and how I can receive them ?

Thank you,

Vlad

My response:

Are you an American citizen?

What is your disability?

How did your disability happen?

How long did you work in the United States before you became eligible for SSD benefits?

IAAL

Last edited:

vtaleysnik

Respond ...

1. Yes, I'm American citizen.
2. Mental disability.
3. It happened 2 years ago after my accident on the head I recived Crime Compinsation for hospital, doctor, and head doctor. Then I went back to my wife in Thailand, and we were in the beach during Tsunami in Phuket, our friend almost died, we were all in the water for 3 hours with dead bodies. I'm seeing know my head doctor here in Thailand and want to come back to USA and apply for SSD. What should I do ?
4. I worked more then 5 years in USA, I look now on my Social Security Statement and it is says that I quilfy to recieve disability.

My response:

Are you an American citizen?

What is your disability?

How did your disability happen?

How long did you work in the United States before you became eligible for SSD benefits?

IAAL

rmet4nzkx

First you say you are recieving SSDI then you ask if you should apply? I understand re TBI, however unless a doctor says you are disabled and unable to work it is unlikely you will qualify, tidal wave or not. Is this your other thread or your friend's thread? https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=222276
You would have to apply here in the US and be available for examination, having a TBI doesn't automatically qualify your for SSDI and it would be hard to monitor you while being in another country, nor would Medicare cover you. This process could take a long time.

vtaleysnik

Reapply...

How long it is takes to apply to SSD and can I start it is the States and continue in Thailand, since I have doctors whom I seeing here. Also please tell me if there are any funds for victims of Tsunami ? I am borroing money now from USA Embessy to go to USA. What am I will be eligiable for when I come to USA ?

Thank you for your support and understanding.

BL

vtaleysnik said:
How long it is takes to apply to SSD and can I start it is the States and continue in Thailand, since I have doctors whom I seeing here. Also please tell me if there are any funds for victims of Tsunami ? I am borroing money now from USA Embessy to go to USA. What am I will be eligiable for when I come to USA ?

Thank you for your support and understanding.
You want to apply for SSDI in the US then get benefits while living in a Diff. country ?

Even if you came to the US and qualified , once you left the country to live you wouldn't continue benefits .

As was stated you have to be a US resident , not just a citizen .

Check with the embassy about any funds for victims .

The US along with many counties contribute humanitarian aid to help the victims .

It's doubtful you'll get special treatment .

vtaleysnik

Reapply...

I spoke with USA Embassy and they said I can recieve SSD cheks in Thailand, but they are not know how everything works. So I'm trying to find if I get SSD then how I can trasfer it to Thailand. Let me know if some one have any ideas or suggestions.

Thank you

tigger22472

I actually closed this window out of this thread because I wasn't going to reply simply because it ticks me off to no end!! What you are saying is that you want to apply for benefits that American RESIDENTS pay into Social Security(especially a fund that is at the helm of debate about right now) and take that money to support you OUTSIDE this country!!

Besides that, in one thread you say you are an American Citizen living in Illinois and then in another you're stating how the US Embassy is helping you get into the United States. Which is it? This is not to even mention your grasp on the ENGLISH language and grammar usage that indicates that you either don't live in the United States or else you do and have no concept on how to speak in this country.

Try asking these questions to the people that know.... the Social Security Administration.. I'm sure the US Embassy could help you with that :mad:

BL

I think what the poster is trying to do hear is ( claim his US citizenship ) from working in the US , and go back to his wife's country ( where he has been ) and collect on disability from his work credits here .

I still believe, he or his advisers know what the hell they are talking about .

If that were the case soldiers in the US could do duty overseas , marry a foreigner , become disabled and be supported outside the USA .

It isn't going to happen .

But knowing our government anything wouldn't surprise me ..

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">