• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Easement-parking,vegetation,maintance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jureklam

What is the name of your state? Virginia
Dear!
I have 30" egress-ingress easement driveway running thru my neighbor's property. He owns his own separate driveway to his entrance and to his garage, but he rarely uses it, and instead he uses my driveway as a main access to his house and overnight parking for his three cars (easement is only 50 ft long). I allowed him to do so for 4 years but recently I was forced to start parking on one side.
This caused a lot problems. Whenever me or contractors working on my house parked on one side he would park on the other side - causing total blockage sometimes locking my cars in driveway.
He called police several times and they sided with him, asking me to move my cars but otherwise refuse to intervene, giving him "benefit of doubt" (he is a very convincing lawyer).
1. Who can legally park in "ingress egress easement" - if anyone?
2. Who has a right to plant vegetation within an easement?
3. Who pays for electricity used for garden lights?
4. Who enforces ingress-egress law regardless who is right?
5. Can he cut asphalt across end of my driveway to install "french drain" and refuse to fix it?
6. Can he install walkway connecting side entrance door and "my" driveway
without some kind legal paperwork (can I remove the a piece within this easement)
7.Should I hire a lawyer to handle this situation.

Thank You a lot.
JL

BelizeBreeze

jureklam said:
What is the name of your state? Virginia
Dear!
I have 30" egress-ingress easement driveway running thru my neighbor's property. He owns his own separate driveway to his entrance and to his garage, but he rarely uses it, and instead he uses my driveway as a main access to his house and overnight parking for his three cars (easement is only 50 ft long). I allowed him to do so for 4 years but recently I was forced to start parking on one side.
This caused a lot problems. Whenever me or contractors working on my house parked on one side he would park on the other side - causing total blockage sometimes locking my cars in driveway.
He called police several times and they sided with him, asking me to move my cars but otherwise refuse to intervene, giving him "benefit of doubt" (he is a very convincing lawyer).
1. Who can legally park in "ingress egress easement" - if anyone?
2. Who has a right to plant vegetation within an easement?
3. Who pays for electricity used for garden lights?
4. Who enforces ingress-egress law regardless who is right?
5. Can he cut asphalt across end of my driveway to install "french drain" and refuse to fix it?
6. Can he install walkway connecting side entrance door and "my" driveway
without some kind legal paperwork (can I remove the a piece within this easement)
7.Should I hire a lawyer to handle this situation.

Thank You a lot.
JL
If you are the grantor of the easement then send him a Certified (RRR) cease and desist letter demanding he stop parking vehicles in the ingress/egress.

If you are the grantor of the easement, all rights remain with you. Therefore, if he does not get permission from you in writing to change the easement, you can sue him for damages.

Now, come back here and post exactly what the easement says word for word so I know I'm right.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">