• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Husband stopped alimony

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bevpitts

Florida
After 32 years of marriage, my sister (69) and her husband divorced 10 years ago. They live in FL. The courts ordered the husband to pay monthly alimony of $1987. My sister suffers from many broken bones from osteoporosis and is temporarily hospitalized. Husband remarried. He was diagnosed with liver cancer and claims to have 6 months to a year to live. He originally stopped my sister's alimony checks and announced if she fought him, it would take the courts a year to hear her case, and then he will be dead. Then he said he would send her $500 a month and if she dared do anything about it, he will cut her off completely and have her name removed as the life insurance beneficiary of $50,000. As he has done in the past, he will borrow against the policy or cash it in. How can my sister force him to continue the alimony payments now without jeopardizing herself?

Last edited:

bevpitts

Alimony stopped

Florida

After 32 years of marriage, my sister (69) and her husband divorced 10 years ago. They live in FL. The courts ordered the husband to pay monthly alimony of $1987. My sister suffers from many broken bones from osteoporosis and is temporarily hospitalized. Husband remarried. He was diagnosed with liver cancer and claims to have 6 months to a year to live. He originally stopped my sister's alimony checks and announced if she fought him, it would take the courts a year to hear her case, and then he will be dead. Then he said he would send her $500 a month and if she dared do anything about it, he will cut her off completely and have her name removed as the life insurance beneficiary of $50,000. As he has done in the past, he will borrow against the policy or cash it in. How can my sister force him to continue the alimony payments now without jeopardizing herself?

BelizeBreeze

Well, the first thing to do is to come back here and print WORD FOR WORD what the divorce decree states as to the alimoney.

bevpitts

BelizeBreeze said:
Well, the first thing to do is to come back here and print WORD FOR WORD what the divorce decree states as to the alimoney.
Florida

Will do when I get that info. Thanks.

bevpitts

BelizeBreeze said:
Florida

She is hospitalized and to the best of her knowledge, her divorce decree reads that she is entitled to Alimony for the rest or her life unless she remarries (which she hasn't). Another question: Can she sue his estate after his death for back Alimony? Although her ex is not a very honest man, he is independetntly wealthy (income still occurs even when he doesn't physically work).

bevpitts

nextwife said:
And what is sis planning once her ex is too terminal to work, or deceased?
Florida........

According to the courts, she is to receive alimony until she dies or remarries, which she hasn't. For her future, as part of the divorce decree, she is a beneficiary on an irrevocable life insurance policy he has ($50,000), plus she will have his SS as a widow. None of that is her concern. Her concern is about what's happening today and how is he able to stop paying her. Legally, he's in contempt of court. She wants to know what she can do to have him continue with the alimony until he dies. And, since she's hospitalized for the next four months, how can she fight him? Can she sue his estate after he's dead for back alimony? Whenever she's hospitalized with broken bones from osteoporosis, he pulls stunts like this on her.

momtooo

She can file another contempt charge and ask the court to seize his property and/or assets and force a sale. She can file a lean on his property herself. As far as the insurance policy, she can prove she is the legal beneficiary by her divorce decree. If and when he dies, contact the life insurance company A.S.A.P. and provide a copy of the divorce decree. Also, the alimony ends when he dies. She is not entitled to assets of the estate upon his death. She could file a petition upon his death just like all of the other creditors he owes, for the back spousal support he owes. But more than likely, she won't get it. She should take care of this matter now instead of waiting for him to kick the bucket.

Good luck! :)

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">