• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

payment ????

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Linseysmommy

What is the name of your state? florida
my lawyer told me that i have to pay his 25% fee with my first backpay check...i have things that need to be done to my house as soon as possible.....i want to pay him half with first backpay check and other half in 6 months when i get second backpay..can i do that even if he objects?
tiffany

BL

Linseysmommy said:
What is the name of your state? florida
my lawyer told me that i have to pay his 25% fee with my first backpay check...i have things that need to be done to my house as soon as possible.....i want to pay him half with first backpay check and other half in 6 months when i get second backpay..can i do that even if he objects?
tiffany
No . You most likely signed a form that allows the Lawyer to be paid their fee from your lump sum back payment .

Budget accordingly ... The lawyer is NOT going to trust clients to pay back a portion from their monthly checks ..

BL

Linseysmommy said:
okay thanks is there a limit on what he can get from the backpay though?
tiffany

He's taking 25 percent ( 1/4 th ) of the lump sum of back pay .

That's reasonable and around the normal . It's under 1/3 which is about what all SSI attorney's fees are .

tigger22472

You might also want to check to make sure SS doesn't already send him the money from the back pay. When my husband received his backpay the lawyer was paid directly from his check.

Linseysmommy

thanks everyone for your replys...i called them today and his assistant told me to tell her when i get the money in my account to let her know so i can pay her and when i get my award letter...she said she has to figure everything out so she can bill me...she told me there will be miscellaneous fees on top of that...she said it all has to be paid up front...i am gonna wait till i get the money then ask to speak to the lawyer first before i pay them...
thanks again
tiffany

bjl1105

The law changed only very recently about attorney's fees being paid from SSI retro monies. Generally SSI funds could not be used to pay atty fees. It was up to the individual to pay those fees. Just make sure you are not paying more that 25 per cent of your award money!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">