• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

stalling on flood repairs

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

yesIdid

What is the name of your state? California

I live in a condo in CA, and my unit flooded twice seven months ago. The vertical surfaces in the flood area were replaced; however, my flooring has not been repaired-roughly 500 sq. ft. of carpet and 200 sq. ft. of wood laminate. Numerous contractors have visited my home to take measurements. I have attended the last three meetings of my h.o.a., and my board has yet to approve any flooring repairs.

I'm sick and tired of waiting for these people to act, so I'm going to have the carpet and laminate replaced myself. I'm going to send them the bill, and hope that i get reimbursed.

If they refuse to reimburse me, can I put a lien on the property management company and the association, maybe the homes of the board members themselves. I know this sounds DESPERATE, but I am.

Thanks for reading!!!

HomeGuru

yesIdid said:
What is the name of your state? California

I live in a condo in CA, and my unit flooded twice seven months ago. The vertical surfaces in the flood area were replaced;

**A: vertical surfaces; what does that mean? Floor covering, landscaping...?
however, my flooring has not been repaired-roughly 500 sq. ft. of carpet and 200 sq. ft. of wood laminate. Numerous contractors have visited my home to take measurements. I have attended the last three meetings of my h.o.a., and my board has yet to approve any flooring repairs.

**A: did the HOA assume liability for repairs etc.?

I'm sick and tired of waiting for these people to act, so I'm going to have the carpet and laminate replaced myself. I'm going to send them the bill, and hope that i get reimbursed.

If they refuse to reimburse me, can I put a lien on the property management company and the association, maybe the homes of the board members themselves. I know this sounds DESPERATE, but I am.

Thanks for reading!!!
**A: you have no lien rights.

yesIdid

HomeGuru said:
**A: you have no lien rights.
Not w/o winning a judgement right?

Vert. surfaces: drywall and baseboard.

Yes, the hoa has assumed full responsibility for the repairs; the drain back-up occurred in a common area/pipe.

The conflict is over to what extent the carpet will be repaired/replaced, and how much laminate flooring will be replaced.

According to our CCRs, mediation first, then litigation...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">