• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

bench warrant search of house, Legal??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jestersmom

What is the name of your state?[FONT=]undefined[/FONT] :confused: What is the name of your state? Pa. My son had a bench warrant issued for him for getting behind in restitution payments. Sheriff's (3) came to house to serve. Asked if there was a certain car in the driveway and they said "No" . Told them he was at work and not here. They said that they had to come in and search the house. Is searching the house part of serving a bench warrant?? Because they found some things that he was growing in the house (without my knowledge) and then the local police got a search warrant and completely looked through the house and found numerous growing items and all the apparatus that goes along with it. Is that search legal??

Shay-Pari'e

jestersmom said:
What is the name of your state?[FONT=]undefined[/FONT] :confused: What is the name of your state? Pa. My son had a bench warrant issued for him for getting behind in restitution payments. Sheriff's (3) came to house to serve. Asked if there was a certain car in the driveway and they said "No" . Told them he was at work and not here. They said that they had to come in and search the house. Is searching the house part of serving a bench warrant?? Because they found some things that he was growing in the house (without my knowledge) and then the local police got a search warrant and completely looked through the house and found numerous growing items and all the apparatus that goes along with it. Is that search legal??
Sounds like both warrants were good warrants, so what your question again>

CdwJava

In most every state, an arrest warrant will permit sufficient cause for officers to look inside the suspect's residence for the suspect.

- Carl

Scrutinizer

An arrest warrant carries with it the authority to search that person's home for him, but not to search a 3rd person's home.

Bravo8

In Pennsylvania, the simple existence of an arrest warrant doesn't permit a search of the wanted person's home. If the police (or Sheriff's Office) has probable cause to believe the person is inside the home, then they could search the house for that person.

You do raise an interesting point, though. Can the police use the unlawful (at least it appears unlawful based upon the facts you presented) search of the home by a different law enforcement agency to justify their probable cause in obtaining a search warrant? I'll have to look into that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">